python3 support

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

python3 support

Patrik Dufresne
With python2 support ending in 2020, I'm wondering if there are any effort to support both python2 and python3. 

The last version was release in 2009, I'm wondering if somebody as take over the development of rdiff-backup.


--
Patrik Dufresne


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: python3 support

Greg Troxel

Patrik Dufresne <[hidden email]> writes:

> With python2 support ending in 2020, I'm wondering if there are any effort
> to support both python2 and python3.

Given how much python2-only stuff there is, I really have to wonder if
it bugfix support will happen by someone.

> The last version was release in 2009, I'm wondering if somebody as take
> over the development of rdiff-backup.

I've been on the list for a long time, and there seem to be no new
maintainers.

Personally I am moving to bup, because I find rdiff-backup too fragile
in practice.  In particular, failing backups need to be regressed, which
consumes large amounts of temp space.

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

signature.asc (186 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: python3 support

Dominic Raferd-3
In reply to this post by Patrik Dufresne
Hello Patrik

I believe the current maintainer is Ned Harvey who took over in May 2013, but I think his actions were confined to some fixes to the website rather than any work on the program code, and he hasn't been visible here recently. Before him the maintainer was Andrew Ferguson and before him Ben Escoto who wrote the original program.

As you are a python coder and have done some great work on rdiffweb, I am sure Ned as well as all of us who use rdiff-backup would really welcome the contribution you could make to the rdiff-backup code, including making it python3-compatible. If Ned no longer wants to be involved, perhaps you could become the maintainer?

Dominic

On 4 January 2016 at 01:49, Patrik Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
With python2 support ending in 2020, I'm wondering if there are any effort to support both python2 and python3. 

The last version was release in 2009, I'm wondering if somebody as take over the development of rdiff-backup.


--
Patrik Dufresne


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: python3 support

Patrik Dufresne
Ok, thanks for the feedback.

I will probably fork rdiff-backup on github and create a new branch to support python3. Will see how hard it is to support python3 ! I'm about to complete rdiffweb porting and it was very painful. Let hope porting rdiff-backup would be less painful.

Still, I'm far away to take over rdiff-backup.

--
Patrik Dufresne


On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Dominic Raferd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Patrik

I believe the current maintainer is Ned Harvey who took over in May 2013, but I think his actions were confined to some fixes to the website rather than any work on the program code, and he hasn't been visible here recently. Before him the maintainer was Andrew Ferguson and before him Ben Escoto who wrote the original program.

As you are a python coder and have done some great work on rdiffweb, I am sure Ned as well as all of us who use rdiff-backup would really welcome the contribution you could make to the rdiff-backup code, including making it python3-compatible. If Ned no longer wants to be involved, perhaps you could become the maintainer?

Dominic

On 4 January 2016 at 01:49, Patrik Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
With python2 support ending in 2020, I'm wondering if there are any effort to support both python2 and python3. 

The last version was release in 2009, I'm wondering if somebody as take over the development of rdiff-backup.


--
Patrik Dufresne


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki



_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki