questions

Mostafa Razavi
Hi. I'm a new convert, and I have like a thousand questions! I know this
is a "devel" mailing list, but it's the only mailing list StumpWM has,
so I hope it's all right if I ask my questions here (not all one
thousand though, not now!).

I've been trying to change the font StumpWM uses. Using "set-font" it
seems to me that truetype fonts are not usable. When I set the font to
"-adobe-helvetica-medium-normal--12*" it works. When I set it to
"-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1" it doesn't.
I got that by calling "describe-face" in emacs, so I'm sure the font
exists. I'm not very familiar with how fonts are handled in X. Trying
xlsfonts and xlib:list-font-names, I see that they don't list my
truetype fonts. Is there a way I can use a better looking font than the
default one?

Another problem I've encountered is with "read-one-line". Calling it
from the slime repl in emacs causes weird problems. If I type slowly,
everything is fine. If I type fast, stumpwm gives error messages
mid-typing like "k is not bound" (k can be any key really). Once, it
even caused the system to freeze completely. I defined a command that
calls read-one-line and invoked it by the ";" command. Everything worked
fine, so I think this is somehow related to a combination of emacs and
stumpwm. Not a big issue, but still I thought I'd report it.

Also, the wifi contrib module does not work for me. It looks for a
"wireless" subdirectory in my /sys/class/net/wlan0 which does not exist
on my system. I'm running Debian with linux 2.6.32-5-amd54 and with the
latest StumpWM from git.

Any help on these is appreciated. Thanks.

Mostafa

Re: questions

Hom Sepanta
It isn't in that list. All the fonts in the Font Path are in
/usr/share/fonts/X11/ while the ttf fonts are in
/usr/share/fonts/truetype. I tried adding that to the list with "xset
fp+" but I got a "bad font path element" error. I also tried googling to
learn a bit more about fonts in X, but damn, anything I find is at least
a few years old (references to the late xfree86 are abundant). Seems
like the last time people had font problems was several years ago!

Question is, if the ttf fonts are not in the font path, how come emacs
can use them?

Thanks,
Mostafa

On 03/11/2012 05:08 AM, z_axis wrote:

> You may try `xset q  | grep -i font` to see whether or not your font
> is on the FontPath.  The TTF font works for me.
>

> 在 Sat, 10 Mar 2012 17:23:35 +0800,Mostafa Razavi
> <[hidden email]> 写道:
>
>> Hi. I'm a new convert, and I have like a thousand questions! I know
>> this is a "devel" mailing list, but it's the only mailing list
>> StumpWM has, so I hope it's all right if I ask my questions here (not
>> all one thousand though, not now!).
>>
>> I've been trying to change the font StumpWM uses. Using "set-font" it
>> seems to me that truetype fonts are not usable. When I set the font
>> to "-adobe-helvetica-medium-normal--12*" it works. When I set it to
>> "-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1" it
>> doesn't. I got that by calling "describe-face" in emacs, so I'm sure
>> the font exists. I'm not very familiar with how fonts are handled in
>> X. Trying xlsfonts and xlib:list-font-names, I see that they don't
>> list my truetype fonts. Is there a way I can use a better looking
>> font than the default one?
>>
>> Another problem I've encountered is with "read-one-line". Calling it
>> from the slime repl in emacs causes weird problems. If I type slowly,
>> everything is fine. If I type fast, stumpwm gives error messages
>> mid-typing like "k is not bound" (k can be any key really). Once, it
>> even caused the system to freeze completely. I defined a command that
>> calls read-one-line and invoked it by the ";" command. Everything
>> worked fine, so I think this is somehow related to a combination of
>> emacs and stumpwm. Not a big issue, but still I thought I'd report it.
>>
>> Also, the wifi contrib module does not work for me. It looks for a
>> "wireless" subdirectory in my /sys/class/net/wlan0 which does not
>> exist on my system. I'm running Debian with linux 2.6.32-5-amd54 and
>> with the latest StumpWM from git.
>>
>> Any help on these is appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Mostafa

Re: questions

Eric Wolf-5
Mostafa Razavi <[hidden email]> writes:

> It isn't in that list. All the fonts in the Font Path are in
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/ while the ttf fonts are in
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype. I tried adding that to the list with "xset
> fp+" but I got a "bad font path element" error. I also tried googling
> to learn a bit more about fonts in X, but damn, anything I find is at
> least a few years old (references to the late xfree86 are
> abundant). Seems like the last time people had font problems was
> several years ago!
>
> Question is, if the ttf fonts are not in the font path, how come emacs
> can use them?

emacs uses fontconfig and xft nowadays. I don't know if stumpwm
uses xft, but "grep -iR xft *" and "grep -iR fontc *" in the
stumpwm sources didn't get a result, so I assume it doesn't.

As "grep -iR xft *" in the sources for the debian package
of cl-clx-sbcl didn't turn up anything, I doubt that clx
provides support for xft. And stumpwm uses clx to communicate
with the X server, so no xft in stumpwm too, I assume.

Sorry to disappoint you,

Eric

> Thanks,
> Mostafa

Re: questions

Hom Sepanta
Well, thanks anyway. I like the programmability even if it's a
distraction. I'm having tons of fun, just connecting to the lisp image
from within emacs and messing with it! If stumpwm really still doens't
support ttf,  perhaps someday I'll find the time to take a look and see
if I can fix it myself.

By the way, I have no idea about stumwm's status of development. I see
there have been very recent posts to the mailing list, but the website
says the last release was in 2010. Is it still maintained?

On 03/11/2012 01:14 PM, David Alfred Mccowan II wrote:

>  From what I remember the lisp library that stumpwm uses for graphics
> does not support true type fonts, or at least it didn't several years
> ago.
>
> Caution, my information maybe horribly out of date.  It has been over
> two years since I stopped using stumpwm and instead started using just
> ratpoison.  The only reason for this was that I found stumpwm too
> programmable and a distraction, I had no problems with the program
> itself.
>
> For your information ratpoison does support true type fonts and has for
> a while.
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 07:01:02AM +0330, Mostafa Razavi wrote:
>> It isn't in that list. All the fonts in the Font Path are in
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/ while the ttf fonts are in
>> /usr/share/fonts/truetype. I tried adding that to the list with
>> "xset fp+" but I got a "bad font path element" error. I also tried

Re: questions

David Bjergaard-2
Hi,

There are patches submitted and pushed to this list more frequently than
the most recent release. The git repository is more up to date, and I
use it when I have an excuse to re-build stumpwm (ie distro upgrade). As
far as the community, the lists are active when other users see
activity. There are spurts of traffic, and then it dies down and people
develop patches and then there is another spurt of traffic. I don't
develop, but I'm sharpening my lisp skills and I hope to contribute some
day.

        Dave

Mostafa Razavi <[hidden email]> writes:

> Well, thanks anyway. I like the programmability even if it's a
> distraction. I'm having tons of fun, just connecting to the lisp image
> from within emacs and messing with it! If stumpwm really still doens't
> support ttf,  perhaps someday I'll find the time to take a look and
> see if I can fix it myself.
>
> By the way, I have no idea about stumwm's status of development. I see
> there have been very recent posts to the mailing list, but the website
> says the last release was in 2010. Is it still maintained?
>
> On 03/11/2012 01:14 PM, David Alfred Mccowan II wrote:
>>  From what I remember the lisp library that stumpwm uses for graphics
>> does not support true type fonts, or at least it didn't several years
>> ago.
>>
>> Caution, my information maybe horribly out of date.  It has been over
>> two years since I stopped using stumpwm and instead started using just
>> ratpoison.  The only reason for this was that I found stumpwm too
>> programmable and a distraction, I had no problems with the program
>> itself.
>>
>> For your information ratpoison does support true type fonts and has for
>> a while.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 07:01:02AM +0330, Mostafa Razavi wrote:
>>> It isn't in that list. All the fonts in the Font Path are in
>>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/ while the ttf fonts are in
>>> /usr/share/fonts/truetype. I tried adding that to the list with
>>> "xset fp+" but I got a "bad font path element" error. I also tried

Re: questions

Jason F. McBrayer
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:01:34 +0330, Mostafa Razavi wrote:

> Well, thanks anyway. I like the programmability even if it's a
> distraction. I'm having tons of fun, just connecting to the lisp
> image
> from within emacs and messing with it! If stumpwm really still
> doens't
> support ttf, perhaps someday I'll find the time to take a look and
> see
> if I can fix it myself.

Your X server or X font server probably supports TrueType fonts, though
without antialiasing. My first quick search for documentation on how to
set
it up turned up this:
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html>.
To the best of my memory, that was how we did it on Linux as well, back
before XFT
and FontConfig made us all soft.

Re: questions

tycho garen
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:03:35AM -0400, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
> Your X server or X font server probably supports TrueType fonts,
> though without antialiasing. My first quick search for documentation
> on how to set it up turned up this:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html>.
> To the best of my memory, that was how we did it on Linux as well,
> back before XFT and FontConfig made us all soft.

Soft or not:

- Just to clarify for this thread, StumpWM doesn't contain support for
  XFT fonts, so it depends on what fonts your X server supports, see
  previous comments in this thread for more info on this, or use the
  program "xfontsel" which is a good rudimentary X11 font selector.

- My Stump config has the following for font config. I make no claims
  that this is "the right way" or "definitive" or "orginal" but the
  first line works for me.

(set-font "-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-11-80-100-100-m-70-iso10646-1")
;; (set-font "-artwiz-snap-normal-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*")
;; (set-font "-*-aqui-medium-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")
;; (set-font "-*-wenquanyi bitmap song-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*")
;; (set-font "-xos4-*-medium-r-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*")
;; (set-font "-*-profont-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*")
;; (set-font "-*-unifont-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*")
;; (set-font "-*-comic sans ms-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")
;; (set-font "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-11-*-*-*-*-56-*-*")
;; (set-font "-*-inconsolata-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")
;; (set-font "-*-terminal-*-*-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")
;; (set-font "-*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")

Cheers,
sam

--
tycho(ish) @
[hidden email]

Re: questions

Lucas Pandolfo

On 13 March 2012 17:58, Mostafa Razavi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, but I'm still a bit confused. Don't other programs use X to access fonts? If my emacs can show XFT fonts, does that mean that it contains built-in support for those fonts, or that it somehow makes X do it? Is font support a matter of what works with X, or the programs should support it themselves?

I think it's because clx doesn't implement xft.

Re: questions

Eric Abrahamsen-2
On Wed, Mar 14 2012, tychoish wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:03:35AM -0400, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
>> Your X server or X font server probably supports TrueType fonts,
>> though without antialiasing. My first quick search for documentation
>> on how to set it up turned up this:
>> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html>.
>> To the best of my memory, that was how we did it on Linux as well,
>> back before XFT and FontConfig made us all soft.
>
> Soft or not:
>
> - Just to clarify for this thread, StumpWM doesn't contain support for
>   XFT fonts, so it depends on what fonts your X server supports, see
>   previous comments in this thread for more info on this, or use the
>   program "xfontsel" which is a good rudimentary X11 font selector.

This is my problem: the fonts that xfontsel finds still can't be used in
stump. OTF and TTF fonts can be found through that utility, but not
found by stump…