"--num-retries" How it exacly work?

Piotr Karbowski
HI!

Can anyone explain me how num-retries work? Sometimes when I running
duplicity my $HOME on running system after making new backup I can see
"Errors: 16", maybe firefox block for example own sqlite database or
something, I check man and I found num-retries but man say only
"Number of retries to make on errors before giving up." - Can I add
'50' and duplicity will do 50 try to backup file when he cant read it
or something? Can I safe use -num-retries 50?

Sorry about my english, I hope you can understand me.

Re: "--num-retries" How it exacly work?

jacobgodserv (Bugzilla)
On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 13:28, Piotr Karbowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I safe use -num-retries 50?

I can answer this part. Using --num-retries will have no negative
impact on your system, assuming you don't mind if backups take a long
time to finish.

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now — and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

    Are you ready?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Jacob Godserv <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 13:28, Piotr Karbowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can I safe use -num-retries 50?
>
> I can answer this part. Using --num-retries will have no negative
> impact on your system, assuming you don't mind if backups take a long
> time to finish.

I just want to be sure that *ALL* files will be backup'ed.

Re: "--num-retries" How it exacly work?

edgar.soldin

> I just want to be sure that *ALL* files will be backup'ed.

you can't .. all you can do is trying ;) meaning:

--num-retries only tries to do again whatever it was doing while a non
fatal error occured (default is 5 i think). If the error is still there
after e.g. 1000 tries it still fails. Also be careful not to choose a
very high value that leads to an old duplicity instance still running
while cron already starts the next one.

... ede

Re: "--num-retries" How it exacly work?

Kenneth Loafman
Piotr Karbowski wrote:
> HI!
>
> Can anyone explain me how num-retries work? Sometimes when I running
> duplicity my $HOME on running system after making new backup I can see
> "Errors: 16", maybe firefox block for example own sqlite database or
> something, I check man and I found num-retries but man say only
> "Number of retries to make on errors before giving up." - Can I add
> '50' and duplicity will do 50 try to backup file when he cant read it
> or something? Can I safe use -num-retries 50?

--num-retries may be as high as you need it to be and all that it will
do, normally, is help a bit if you have bad network issues.  As to the
error count you're seeing, that could be due to unreadable files due to
permission errors, or other causes.  They should show up on the logs.

...Ken

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 13:55,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> it seems --num-retries only retries network connection errors ... good to
> know .. ede

Kevin, could this be documented more specifically in the man page?
Something like...
"Number of times to try storing or reading backups before giving up."

...or whatever is accurate