rdiff-backup 2.0.0 crashed the first time I ran it

rdiff-backup 2.0.0 crashed the first time I ran it

Walt Mankowski
Hi,

I updated to Ubuntu 20.04 yesterday, which includes rdiff-backup
2.0.0-1. It crashed when it ran last night. I posted the bug to
Launchpad but thought I'd crosspost it here too.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rdiff-backup/+bug/1875163

Walt

Re: rdiff-backup 2.0.0 crashed the first time I ran it

Walt Mankowski
Hi everyone,

First I'd like to apologize for the terseness of my original post. It
was early Sunday morning when I wore up and discovered that my backup
had failed, and as a result I wasn't at my best.

I did some more poking at the problem and here's what I discovered (I
also posted this at the launchpad URL).

I modified get_indexpath() in log.py to catch a TypeError exception
and return the string "TypeError" instead of aborting. It printed 4
errors:

ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/1000/doc'
ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/1000/gvfs'
ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/1000/keybase/kbfs'
ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/141/gvfs'

I'm not really sure what's wrong with the first 3. Maybe they're odd
because they're in /run? The final file does really look like it might
be corrupted.

I ran the code in the debugger and was able to confirm that the data
in the rpath was bytes instead of strings. I wasn't able to find where
they were getting loaded.

At any rate it looks like the easy fix on my end is to exclude /run
from my backups. I did that last night and rdiff-backup ran without
errors.

Is there any other information you'd like me to provide to help track
down what's causing the problem?

Walt

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 07:33:35AM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I updated to Ubuntu 20.04 yesterday, which includes rdiff-backup
> 2.0.0-1. It crashed when it ran last night. I posted the bug to
> Launchpad but thought I'd crosspost it here too.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rdiff-backup/+bug/1875163
>
> Walt

Re: rdiff-backup 2.0.0 crashed the first time I ran it

EricZolf
Hi Walt,

no issue, we all have our terse days ;-)

The error is known and already fixed in the repo:
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/310

Next release (no due date yet) will have the fix.

KR, Eric

On 29/04/2020 21:45, Walt Mankowski wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First I'd like to apologize for the terseness of my original post. It
> was early Sunday morning when I wore up and discovered that my backup
> had failed, and as a result I wasn't at my best.
>
> I did some more poking at the problem and here's what I discovered (I
> also posted this at the launchpad URL).
>
> I modified get_indexpath() in log.py to catch a TypeError exception
> and return the string "TypeError" instead of aborting. It printed 4
> errors:
>
> ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/1000/doc'
> ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/1000/gvfs'
> ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/1000/keybase/kbfs'
> ListError: 'TypeError' [Errno 13] Permission denied: b'/run/user/141/gvfs'
>
> I'm not really sure what's wrong with the first 3. Maybe they're odd
> because they're in /run? The final file does really look like it might
> be corrupted.
>
> I ran the code in the debugger and was able to confirm that the data
> in the rpath was bytes instead of strings. I wasn't able to find where
> they were getting loaded.
>
> At any rate it looks like the easy fix on my end is to exclude /run
> from my backups. I did that last night and rdiff-backup ran without
> errors.
>
> Is there any other information you'd like me to provide to help track
> down what's causing the problem?
>
> Walt
>
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 07:33:35AM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I updated to Ubuntu 20.04 yesterday, which includes rdiff-backup
>> 2.0.0-1. It crashed when it ran last night. I posted the bug to
>> Launchpad but thought I'd crosspost it here too.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rdiff-backup/+bug/1875163
>>
>> Walt

Re: rdiff-backup 2.0.0 crashed the first time I ran it

Walt Mankowski
Thanks, it's good to know it's already been fixed!

Walt