rdiff-backup exit code on remote error

Heiko Baumann
Hi,

i am running rdiff-backup on some gentoo boxes which are backed-up
nightly with a cronjob. there is a central backup server which runs the
rdiff-backup on each of the machines. now i've updated python on this
machines and forgot to re-merge rdiff-backup on one server. that left
the rdiff-backup non-working on this machine. thats no problem because
simply re-merging rdiff-backup on this machine fixed it. the problem
is/was that the exit code on the backup server was still 0 even though
the backup completely failed. in my opinion this shouldnt happen.

the error message was

-snip-
running rdiff-backup on botanix
Executing ssh -C botanix rdiff-backup --server
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 20, in ?
    import rdiff_backup.Main
ImportError: No module named rdiff_backup.Main
Fatal Error: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)

Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing

    ssh -C botanix rdiff-backup --server

Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
information on this.  This message may also be displayed if the remote
version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (1.0.1).
-snap-

please cc' me because i've not subscribed the list yet.

thanx for your help

the2nd