rdiff-backup, hard links, and multiple configs

rdiff-backup, hard links, and multiple configs

ron89
I'm new to rdiff-backup, and I've got a couple questions about a potential backup scheme.  Background:  I'm using a package (snapraid) on my server that protects its data against bit-rot & drive failure.  I periodically rsync my (windows) laptop to that (linux) server in order to have a bit-rot protected clone of the laptop.  However, snapraid isn't really meant for use on files that are constantly changing (for instance, mail files, Firefox profile, etc.), so these snapshots don't happen that frequently.

I'd like to use rdiff-backup to do nightly backups of the laptop, for the versioning & accidental delete protection.  The backup target would be a non-snapraid-protected area on the same server.  But rather than maintain two full copies of all the data, it would be great if the overlaps were consolidated using hard links.  So the plan would be:  rdiff-backup nightly to a "master" archive (non-snapraid), then snapshot the rdiff-backup master weekly, using rsync --link-dest, into a snapraid-protected area.

The actual question:  Does this make sense, or is there some danger in hardlinking into an active rdiff-backup archive?

Second question:  is it possible to run rdiff-backup on a subset of the total more frequently, but with the same target archive?  For instance, a nightly backup of everything, then an hourly backup of certain critical files/dirs.  My grasp of rsync --include/exclude filters is marginal, but my gut says that some special magic is required to keep the hourly backup from blowing away excluded files (while correctly deleting files removed from the "hourly" areas).

Re: rdiff-backup, hard links, and multiple configs

Patrik Dufresne
I notice you didn't got any replies yet. I will try to provide you some answers.

The actual question:  Does this make sense, or is there some danger in hard-linking into an active rdiff-backup archive?

Hard-linking is not an issue for rdiff-backup. As long as the files are not modified afterwards, it's not an issue.

Second question:  is it possible to run rdiff-backup on a subset of the total more frequently, but with the same target archive?

It's not possible backup only subset of files with rdiff-backup, but it sound like a nice feature to get implemented ! ;-)

Would be nice to hear back from you once you completed your setup !

--
Patrik Dufresne

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 7:39 PM, meeotch <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm new to rdiff-backup, and I've got a couple questions about a potential backup scheme.  Background:  I'm using a package (snapraid) on my server that protects its data against bit-rot & drive failure.  I periodically rsync my (windows) laptop to that (linux) server in order to have a bit-rot protected clone of the laptop.  However, snapraid isn't really meant for use on files that are constantly changing (for instance, mail files, Firefox profile, etc.), so these snapshots don't happen that frequently.

I'd like to use rdiff-backup to do nightly backups of the laptop, for the versioning & accidental delete protection.  The backup target would be a non-snapraid-protected area on the same server.  But rather than maintain two full copies of all the data, it would be great if the overlaps were consolidated using hard links.  So the plan would be:  rdiff-backup nightly to a "master" archive (non-snapraid), then snapshot the rdiff-backup master weekly, using rsync --link-dest, into a snapraid-protected area.

The actual question:  Does this make sense, or is there some danger in hardlinking into an active rdiff-backup archive?

Second question:  is it possible to run rdiff-backup on a subset of the total more frequently, but with the same target archive?  For instance, a nightly backup of everything, then an hourly backup of certain critical files/dirs.  My grasp of rsync --include/exclude filters is marginal, but my gut says that some special magic is required to keep the hourly backup from blowing away excluded files (while correctly deleting files removed from the "hourly" areas).

rdiff-backup, hard links, and multiple configs

ron89
>>  Hard-linking is not an issue for rdiff-backup. As long as the files are not modified afterwards, it's not an issue.
>>  It's not possible backup only subset of files with rdiff-backup, but it sound like a nice feature to get implemented !
>>  Would be nice to hear back from you once you completed your setup !

Thanks for the reply.  After taking a few days to painstakingly sift through all my data, I feel like I may be able to separate out the parts that are appropriate for rdiff-backup.  (Mostly mail files in the mbox format, and a couple other large database files for various apps.)  My current plan is to use a "dumb" solution for the overall snapsot - probably just stock rsync, using the --backup and --backup-dir options, and keep that master snapshot in the snapraid-protected area.  The excluded mail/etc files I'll just rdiff-backup to a non-snapraid disk.  Reassembling the whole thing in the event of a full-drive failure shouldn't be too hard.  I figure it's a good idea to do the simple thing first, and then let actual experience teach me which files belong under which scheme.