rdiff-backup under Windows with Cygwin

Yves Bellefeuille
I'm trying to use rdiff-backup with Cygwin to backup files from a
Windows system to a Linux server, but I'm running into a problem with
the file ownerships and permissions constantly getting messed up.

Here's an example. Here's the directory which should contain the backups:

drw-rw-rw- 5     666 financo 4096 Jul 26 17:04 .
drwxrwx--- 6 financo financo 4096 Jul 26 17:04 ..
drw-rw-rw- 9 financo financo 4096 Aug  5 12:01 monate
drw-rw-rw- 9 financo financo 4096 Aug 11 12:01 semajne
d---r-x--- 9  328384  328384 4096 Aug 16 12:01 tage

All directories should have permissions rw-rw-rw- and owners
financo:financo. In fact, they had yesterday, but obviously the daily
("tage") backup messed up the directory "tage" and ownership of ".".
The backup finished properly, though.

I could run a cron job to constantly reset the permissions and owners
to what they should be, but that would be a dirty work-around. I'd
much rather solve the actual problem.

sshd's log file (/var/log/audit/audit.log on my system) doesn't seem
to have anything useful.

Thanks.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<[hidden email]>

Re: rdiff-backup under Windows with Cygwin

Dominic Raferd-3
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 at 00:44, Yves Bellefeuille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to use rdiff-backup with Cygwin to backup files from a
> Windows system to a Linux server, but I'm running into a problem with
> the file ownerships and permissions constantly getting messed up.
>
> Here's an example. Here's the directory which should contain the backups:
>
> drw-rw-rw- 5     666 financo 4096 Jul 26 17:04 .
> drwxrwx--- 6 financo financo 4096 Jul 26 17:04 ..
> drw-rw-rw- 9 financo financo 4096 Aug  5 12:01 monate
> drw-rw-rw- 9 financo financo 4096 Aug 11 12:01
> semajne
> d---r-x--- 9  328384  328384 4096 Aug 16 12:01 tage
>
> All directories should have permissions rw-rw-rw- and owners
> financo:financo. In fact, they had yesterday, but obviously the daily
> ("tage") backup messed up the directory "tage" and ownership of ".".
> The backup finished properly, though.
>
> I could run a cron job to constantly reset the permissions and owners
> to what they should be, but that would be a dirty work-around. I'd
> much rather solve the actual problem.
>
> sshd's log file (/var/log/audit/audit.log on my system) doesn't seem
> to have anything useful.

Presumably there is some difference between the rdiff-backup command that
creates the tage backup and the ones that create the monate and semajne
backups. I would look at that difference. Might
be --preserve-numerical-ids? Is this a one-off problem (and tage backup has
worked before) or is it recurrent?

Dominic Raferd <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Presumably there is some difference between the rdiff-backup command
>  that creates the tage backup and the ones that create the monate and
>  semajne backups. I would look at that difference.

Actually, the commands are identical.

"Tage", "semajne" and "monate" mean daily, weekly, and monthly (in
Esperanto). The difference is in how often the backups are made and
how long they're kept.

Daily backups are made every day and are kept for a week, weekly
backups are made once a week and are kept for a month, and monthly
backups are made once a month and are kept for a year. It's a way to
compromise between having old backups while acknowledging the limited
disk space available.

The commands are (for example):

rdiff-backup  --remove-older-than 7D  --force
root@192.168.1.6::/data/savkopio/rdiff-backup/financo/tage ;
rdiff-backup  -v5  --exclude  [several directories]  --include
[several directories] --exclude  /cygdrive/c/'**'  /cygdrive/c
root@192.168.1.6::/data/savkopio/rdiff-backup/financo/tage

I've since found the page
https://dadhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03/getting-rdiff-backup-to-work-with.html
, where you're mentioned, and I'll try the suggestion it makes, which
is to modify /etc/fstab (in Cygwin on the Windows computer).

Thanks.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<[hidden email]>

Re: rdiff-backup under Windows with Cygwin

Yves Bellefeuille
Actually, now that I've looked at the Web page I mentioned, the only
difference from the default is "noacl". Well, I've added it.

I think an important clue is that I have the problem if cron calls
rdiff-backup, but not if I run the identical command from the command
line. I know that cron and the command line have different
environments; perhaps that's the problem, but how do I solve it?

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<[hidden email]>