re-read dns on hub reconnect

marko.cupac
Hi,

I am using microdc2 in non-interactive mode on a headless server. It is
started @reboot via cron job, and it is used for upload to other users
only. It does great job, except in case of hubs with dyndns addresses,
as it never gets aware of ip change.

It would be nice if you implemented the feature of re-reading dns on
hub reconnect.

Marko Cupać

Re: re-read dns on hub reconnect

Josh Watts
Shouldn't be too hard to do, just need to make sure hub url is cached by connect() (probably isn't right now?)

Submitted as git hub issue :-)
https://github.com/jnwatts/microdc2/issues/5

"marko.cupac" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am using microdc2 in non-interactive mode on a headless server. It is
started @reboot via cron job, and it is used for upload to other users
only. It does great job, except in case of hubs with dyndns addresses,
as it never gets aware of ip change.

It would be nice if you implemented the feature of re-reading dns on
hub reconnect.

Re: re-read dns on hub reconnect

Oliver Gasser
Hi,

I made a simple patch to cache the hostname and re-resolve it upon reconnect.
Maybe you can test it, Marko: https://github.com/jnwatts/microdc2/issues/5

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Josh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shouldn't be too hard to do, just need to make sure hub url is cached by connect() (probably isn't right now?)

Submitted as git hub issue :-)
https://github.com/jnwatts/microdc2/issues/5

"marko.cupac" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am using microdc2 in non-interactive mode on a headless server. It is
started @reboot via cron job, and it is used for upload to other users
only. It does great job, except in case of hubs with dyndns addresses,
as it never gets aware of ip change.

It would be nice if you implemented the feature of re-reading dns on
hub reconnect.

Re: re-read dns on hub reconnect

marko.cupac
Hi Oliver,

I am using microdc2 on FreeBSD, and I am compiling it from ports. In
its Makefile i see that Pavel Pankov is maintainer for this port (so I
am CCing him as well). Apparently it uses some additional patches
(patch-ab, patch-lib-Makefile.in, patch-no-man), and since I have not
been much into patching and custom compiling (besides FreeBSD's simple
make install clean), would you be so kind to give me a little more
instruction on how to patch, configure and install (and also be able to
uninstall).

Thank you in advance,
--
Marko Cupać

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 01:20:35 +0100
Oliver Gasser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made a simple patch to cache the hostname and re-resolve it upon
> reconnect.
> Maybe you can test it, Marko:
> https://github.com/jnwatts/microdc2/issues/5
>

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Josh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Shouldn't be too hard to do, just need to make sure hub url is
> > cached by connect() (probably isn't right now?)
> >
> > Submitted as git hub issue :-)
> > https://github.com/jnwatts/microdc2/issues/5
> >

> > "marko.cupac" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using microdc2 in non-interactive mode on a headless server.
> >> It is started @reboot via cron job, and it is used for upload to
> >> other users
> >>
> >> only. It does great job, except in case of hubs with dyndns
> >> addresses, as it never gets aware of ip change.
> >>
> >> It would be nice if you implemented the feature of re-reading dns
> >> on hub reconnect.
> >>
> >> Regards,

Re: re-read dns on hub reconnect

Oliver Gasser
Hi Marko,

attached you find the patch file for re-reading DNS on reconnect. I am no FreeBSD expert but as far as I understand you can simply add the file to the other patches in the files directory.
There are also other patches in the github repo if you are interested in extending microdc2's functionality.

Greets,
Oliver

reread_dns_on_reconnect.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: re-read dns on hub reconnect

marko.cupac
Hi Oliver,

I have put the patch into files/ folder, port compiled fine. Now let's
see if it will reconnect on hub ip change.

Thank you for your info on patches that extend functionality. I will
check them out.

Marko Cupać

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:03:15 +0100