realtime text in linphone client?

linphone-users mailing list
Hi all,

I'm wondering if the current linphone client handle realtime text aka the RFC 4103? Or do you know any small client based ont he linphone sdk that would allows it? I am trying to skip the need to write a small C code just to test it :)

BenoƮt

Re: realtime text in linphone client?

Stuart D. Gathman
On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Benoit Chesneau via Linphone-users wrote:

> I'm wondering if the current linphone client handle realtime text aka
> the RFC 4103? Or do you know any small client based ont he linphone
> sdk that would allows it? I am trying to skip the need to write a
> small C code just to test it :)

The Linphone GUI sends text messages in "real time" using SIP.  RFC 4103
seems to be about carrying text in RTP packets.  What is the advantage
of doing that when you already have a SIP connection?

--
       Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]>

Re: realtime text in linphone client?

linphone-users mailing list

> On 17 Sep 2019, at 15:22, Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Benoit Chesneau via Linphone-users wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if the current linphone client handle realtime text aka
>> the RFC 4103? Or do you know any small client based ont he linphone
>> sdk that would allows it? I am trying to skip the need to write a
>> small C code just to test it :)
>
> The Linphone GUI sends text messages in "real time" using SIP.  RFC 4103
> seems to be about carrying text in RTP packets.  What is the advantage
> of doing that when you already have a SIP connection?

well it can be used in emergency services by deaf or hard of hearing people. Also in noisy place over voice. I see that the linphone sdk allows it, so i as wondering it it could also exist in the app so it can converse with others.

Benoit.

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

>> The Linphone GUI sends text messages in "real time" using SIP.  RFC 4103
>> seems to be about carrying text in RTP packets.  What is the advantage
>> of doing that when you already have a SIP connection?
>>

> well it can be used in emergency services by deaf or hard of hearing
> people. Also in noisy place over voice. I see that the linphone sdk
> allows it, so i as wondering it it could also exist in the app so it
> can converse with others.

Well yes, I use linphone to text with others (no audio) all the time.
My question was, why would one use text over RTP vs text over SIP?

Maybe I should run wireshark and see if the linphone text feature
actually sends over RTP ...

--
       Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]>