rebuild local index from remote backup?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello List

If you would like to miss out the background and jump straight to my
question, it's the fifth paragraph down...

I've recently moved my backup.  After following a few dead links to an
elusive 'howto' I tracked it down at the web archive - so, for
reference and others that follow, here's a live link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140306044937/http://blog.linux2go.dk/2011/01/20/moving-duplicity-and-hence-deja-dup-backups

Following the above - about half way down the page - is the formula to
calculate the hash for a folder name for any given location.  So, far
so good.  I was using a different location uri (ssh to my home server)
and couldn't bring myself to work out the translation between one uri
form and another.

I figured it would be more simply to have deja-dup do it for me - so,
I moved all the files from my back-up location to a temp remote
directory and all my files from the local directory named after the
hash of the uri of the backup location to a temp local directory -
just for safety.  Then had deja-dup do a back up to the new remote
location.  All went well, remote directory created and local directory
created named after a hash of the remote.  Now, all I had to do is
replace the contents of my new directories with the contents of my
remote directories.

Unfortunately, it was too late in the evening by the time I got to
that stage - and I forgot to move back my remote back-up to the new
directory location.  So, running my first back up...  Yup, deja-dup/
duplicity started to eat my local manifests and indexes that I'd just
returned to my newly created local directory - because, of course, it
no longer matched the empty remote location I was backing up to...

So, my question, how do I/ can I rebuild my local directory to make
useable my back up again?

Many thanks for reading my story of wow!
--
Morgan Read
P 07563-650.923

Re: rebuild local index from remote backup?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi Morgan,

Assuming your remote is intact, duplicity will clean up the cache and reload what it needs from the remote, so as far as I can tell, duplicity is doing what it should be doing.

...Thanks,
...Ken

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 1:14 AM Morgan Read via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you Ken,
That's heartening to know.

If I can just clarify what has happened:
1) remote backup removed from remote location
2) local index and manifest not removed from local location re remote backup
3) duplicity cleaning up the local cache and reloading what it needs
from the remote - that is, nothing in the remote so nothing needed in
the local cache so local cache is eaten...!
And, what will happen:
a) remote backup returned to remote location
b) local index and manifest eaten and empty
c) duplicity will clean up the local cache (nothing to do) and reload
what it needs from the remote location - that is, all things should be
sweet in the rose garden once I've let duplicity do it's thing on the
remote backup

I will take a back up of the remote before pressing the go button, but
I think from what you say everything is okay?

Regards
Morgan

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 12:33, Kenneth Loafman via Duplicity-talk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Morgan,
>
> Assuming your remote is intact, duplicity will clean up the cache and reload what it needs from the remote, so as far as I can tell, duplicity is doing what it should be doing.
>
> ...Thanks,
> ...Ken
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 1:14 AM Morgan Read via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello List
>>
>> If you would like to miss out the background and jump straight to my
>> question, it's the fifth paragraph down...
>>
>> I've recently moved my backup.  After following a few dead links to an
>> elusive 'howto' I tracked it down at the web archive - so, for
>> reference and others that follow, here's a live link:
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20140306044937/http://blog.linux2go.dk/2011/01/20/moving-duplicity-and-hence-deja-dup-backups
>>
>> Following the above - about half way down the page - is the formula to
>> calculate the hash for a folder name for any given location.  So, far
>> so good.  I was using a different location uri (ssh to my home server)
>> and couldn't bring myself to work out the translation between one uri
>> form and another.
>>
>> I figured it would be more simply to have deja-dup do it for me - so,
>> I moved all the files from my back-up location to a temp remote
>> directory and all my files from the local directory named after the
>> hash of the uri of the backup location to a temp local directory -
>> just for safety.  Then had deja-dup do a back up to the new remote
>> location.  All went well, remote directory created and local directory
>> created named after a hash of the remote.  Now, all I had to do is
>> replace the contents of my new directories with the contents of my
>> remote directories.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it was too late in the evening by the time I got to
>> that stage - and I forgot to move back my remote back-up to the new
>> directory location.  So, running my first back up...  Yup, deja-dup/
>> duplicity started to eat my local manifests and indexes that I'd just
>> returned to my newly created local directory - because, of course, it
>> no longer matched the empty remote location I was backing up to...
>>
>> So, my question, how do I/ can I rebuild my local directory to make
>> useable my back up again?
>>
>> Many thanks for reading my story of wow!
>> --
>> Morgan Read
>> P 07563-650.923
>> E [hidden email]

Morgan Read
P 07563-650.923
E [hidden email]

Re: rebuild local index from remote backup?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Sounds like a good plan.

...Ken

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Morgan,
>
> Assuming your remote is intact, duplicity will clean up the cache and reload what it needs from the remote, so as far as I can tell, duplicity is doing what it should be doing.
>
> ...Thanks,
> ...Ken
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 1:14 AM Morgan Read via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello List
>>
>> If you would like to miss out the background and jump straight to my
>> question, it's the fifth paragraph down...
>>
>> I've recently moved my backup.  After following a few dead links to an
>> elusive 'howto' I tracked it down at the web archive - so, for
>> reference and others that follow, here's a live link:
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20140306044937/http://blog.linux2go.dk/2011/01/20/moving-duplicity-and-hence-deja-dup-backups
>>
>> Following the above - about half way down the page - is the formula to
>> calculate the hash for a folder name for any given location.  So, far
>> so good.  I was using a different location uri (ssh to my home server)
>> and couldn't bring myself to work out the translation between one uri
>> form and another.
>>
>> I figured it would be more simply to have deja-dup do it for me - so,
>> I moved all the files from my back-up location to a temp remote
>> directory and all my files from the local directory named after the
>> hash of the uri of the backup location to a temp local directory -
>> just for safety.  Then had deja-dup do a back up to the new remote
>> location.  All went well, remote directory created and local directory
>> created named after a hash of the remote.  Now, all I had to do is
>> replace the contents of my new directories with the contents of my
>> remote directories.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it was too late in the evening by the time I got to
>> that stage - and I forgot to move back my remote back-up to the new
>> directory location.  So, running my first back up...  Yup, deja-dup/
>> duplicity started to eat my local manifests and indexes that I'd just
>> returned to my newly created local directory - because, of course, it
>> no longer matched the empty remote location I was backing up to...
>>
>> So, my question, how do I/ can I rebuild my local directory to make
>> useable my back up again?
>>
>> Many thanks for reading my story of wow!
>> --
>> Morgan Read
>> P 07563-650.923
>> E [hidden email]

Morgan Read
P 07563-650.923
E [hidden email]

Re: rebuild local index from remote backup?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Thanks

--
Morgan Read
P 07563-650.923
E [hidden email]

Re: rebuild local index from remote backup?

duplicity-talk mailing list
I can now post that having let deja-dup run (duplicity) it did a full
back-up and verify and reports that:
Backup Finished
Your files were successfully backed up and tested.

Thanks again!

--
Morgan Read
P 07563-650.923
E [hidden email]

Re: rebuild local index from remote backup?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Awesome, thanks!

--
Morgan Read