rename Data_Sources files?

Jim Prewett

Hello,

I'm thinking we should move files named things like
File-Follower_CMUCL.low.lisp to things like File-Follower_CMUCL_low.lisp

Any objections?

Jim
p.s. why doesn't CVS have a 'rename' feature?!

James E. Prewett                    [hidden email] [hidden email]
Systems Team Leader           LoGS: http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/LoGS/
Designated Security Officer         OpenPGP key: pub 1024D/31816D93
HPC Systems Engineer III   UNM HPC  505.277.8210

Re: rename Data_Sources files?

Vijay Lakshminarayanan
On 6/16/06, Jim Prewett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking we should move files named things like
> File-Follower_CMUCL.low.lisp to things like File-Follower_CMUCL_low.lisp
>
> Any objections?

I was thinking that myself.  I read somewhere (probably c.l.l.) that
generally all implementation dependant code is written in one single
file and the methods are used across the rest of the application as an
API.

> p.s. why doesn't CVS have a 'rename' feature?!

I think you've hit the spot on one of CVS's failures :-)

Thanks Jim
Vijay

> James E. Prewett                    [hidden email] [hidden email]
> Systems Team Leader           LoGS: http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/LoGS/
> Designated Security Officer         OpenPGP key: pub 1024D/31816D93
> HPC Systems Engineer III   UNM HPC  505.277.8210

Re: rename Data_Sources files?

Jim Prewett

> > I'm thinking we should move files named things like
> > File-Follower_CMUCL.low.lisp to things like File-Follower_CMUCL_low.lisp
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> I was thinking that myself.  I read somewhere (probably c.l.l.) that
> generally all implementation dependant code is written in one single
> file and the methods are used across the rest of the application as an
> API.

Right, thats generally what I've been trying to do.  :)

I'm mostly trying to fix the problem that Suresh Madhu pointed out with
regaurds to using defsystem (defsystem apparently doesn't like files with
two '.' characters in their names).

> > p.s. why doesn't CVS have a 'rename' feature?!
>
> I think you've hit the spot on one of CVS's failures :-)

Yes, most definantly! :)

I've been looking at the possible solutions to this 'problem' (renaming in
CVS) and think that the one in which original-filename is removed from the
repository and new-filename is then added to the repository with a note
that it used to be called original-filename.  The other alternatives sound
significantly more time intensive and error-prone and still have their
draw-backs!

Do you have any opinions?  (now is the time to say 'oh, please don't do
*THAT*!' ;)

Jim (the laptop slayer)

On 6/17/06, Jim Prewett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm mostly trying to fix the problem that Suresh Madhu pointed out with
> regaurds to using defsystem (defsystem apparently doesn't like files with
> two '.' characters in their names).
>
> > > p.s. why doesn't CVS have a 'rename' feature?!
> >
> > I think you've hit the spot on one of CVS's failures :-)
>
> Yes, most definantly! :)
>
> I've been looking at the possible solutions to this 'problem' (renaming in
> CVS) and think that the one in which original-filename is removed from the
> repository and new-filename is then added to the repository with a note
> that it used to be called original-filename.  The other alternatives sound
> significantly more time intensive and error-prone and still have their
> draw-backs!
>
> Do you have any opinions?  (now is the time to say 'oh, please don't do
> *THAT*!' ;)

It is a big of a snag that we don't have version control for renamed
files.  Here's a solution I think is effective if not good.  We don't
delete the old .low.lisp files.  Let them remain.  We move all the
necessary code to a new file (impl-depend.lisp?).  In logs.asd and
everywhere else we just pretend those files don't exist and don't
bother compiling them.  This will lead to those files downloading all
the time but let that be.  If and when we find a good working solution
to the problem and see that those files are really obsolete, we could
delete them.

> Jim (the laptop slayer)

What?  Another?

Re: rename Data_Sources files?

Jim Prewett

> It is a big of a snag that we don't have version control for renamed
> files.  Here's a solution I think is effective if not good.  We don't
> delete the old .low.lisp files.  Let them remain.  We move all the
> necessary code to a new file (impl-depend.lisp?).  In logs.asd and
> everywhere else we just pretend those files don't exist and don't
> bother compiling them.  This will lead to those files downloading all
> the time but let that be.  If and when we find a good working solution
> to the problem and see that those files are really obsolete, we could
> delete them.

That sounds like a relatively good solution. Lets do that :)

> > Jim (the laptop slayer)
>
> What?  Another?

yep!  I'm getting good at this.  To be fair, its only been since I met you
;)

Jim

Re: rename Data_Sources files?

Jim Prewett

Hi Vijay,

I just copied those files from File-Follower_IMPL.low.lisp to
File-Follower_IMPL_low.lisp so as to resolve the problem with Defsystem +
LoGS that Suresh Madhu pointed out (Thanks Suresh!).

I modified the asdf and load-LoGS.lisp files to reflect the new names.

Jim