rendering midi to pcm in memory

Jos van den Oever
Dear FluidSynth people,

Is it possible to render midi non-realtime to memory? The amount of memory
that is needed per unit of time is known so it should be possible to render to
a preallocated buffer.

I know that I can render to a file, but I'd like to do more with the rendered
midi than just write it to a file. Is this what the "waveout" driver is for? I
scanned the the code for an example or documentation on how to use it, but did
not succeed so far.

My goal is to modify a midi file or synthesizer sequence in a loop and render
it to a wave and subsequently a spectrum. The resulting spectrum leads to a
new midi file/sequence and so on.

⤳Jos

Re: rendering midi to pcm in memory

fluid-dev mailing list
The best starting point for you would be to use the fast file renderer example:

http://www.fluidsynth.org/api/index.html#FileRenderer

However, instead of using the file renderer's
fluid_file_renderer_process_block(), you would directly call a
rendering function of the synth, as mentioned in this small section:

http://www.fluidsynth.org/api/index.html#UsingSynth

Tom