restore does nothing at all

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello,

I need to restore a directory from my backup. This did work a couple of
days ago, but with some warning messages. Today, I get the same warning,
but nothing happens.

Here's the output I get from the restore command:

 > Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
 > Last full backup date: Wed Jan 18 09:28:22 2017
 > Volume was signed by key D911EC2F, not 7210E89B

And then nothing happens anymore. I can Ctrl+C to kill the program. No
files are restored, even after hours waiting. What can I do?

My duplicity version is 0.7.06 on Ubuntu 16.04.

Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.software

Re: restore does nothing at all

On 21.01.2017 17:38, Yves Goergen via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to restore a directory from my backup. This did work a couple of days ago, but with some warning messages. Today, I get the same warning, but nothing happens.
>
> Here's the output I get from the restore command:
>
>> Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
>> Last full backup date: Wed Jan 18 09:28:22 2017
>> Volume was signed by key D911EC2F, not 7210E89B
>
> And then nothing happens anymore. I can Ctrl+C to kill the program. No files are restored, even after hours waiting. What can I do?
>
> My duplicity version is 0.7.06 on Ubuntu 16.04.

1.
start the restore again and monitor system usage using top or similar. is duplicity stalling or using up your system memory, leading to paging by any chance?

2.
easiest workaround would be accessing your backup from another machine and see if you can restore there.

..ede/duply.net

Re: restore does nothing at all

duplicity-talk mailing list
I didn't get to do that monitoring yet, but I did something else: I
removed the --sign-key argument from my script that calls duplicity.
This got rid of the signing key warning and completed the restore as
expected within a minute or two.

So something is wrong either with the sign key detection, or with sign
key usage in a past backup. Ignoring sign keys resolves the primary
issue. Does that explain anything?

Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.software

On 21.01.2017 17:38, Yves Goergen via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to restore a directory from my backup. This did work a couple of days ago, but with some warning messages. Today, I get the same warning, but nothing happens.
>
> Here's the output I get from the restore command:
>
>> Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
>> Last full backup date: Wed Jan 18 09:28:22 2017
>> Volume was signed by key D911EC2F, not 7210E89B
>
> And then nothing happens anymore. I can Ctrl+C to kill the program. No files are restored, even after hours waiting. What can I do?
>
> My duplicity version is 0.7.06 on Ubuntu 16.04.

1.
start the restore again and monitor system usage using top or similar.
is duplicity stalling or using up your system memory, leading to paging
by any chance?

2.
easiest workaround would be accessing your backup from another machine
and see if you can restore there.

..ede/duply.net

Re: restore does nothing at all

duplicity-talk mailing list
hey Yves,

that sounds unlikely. can your retry several times with and without --sign-key to confirm your findings?

what's you gpg version? it's possible that gpg changed something when a sign key mismatch is detected.

..ede/duply.net

On 28.01.2017 20:51, Yves Goergen wrote:

> I didn't get to do that monitoring yet, but I did something else: I removed the --sign-key argument from my script that calls duplicity. This got rid of the signing key warning and completed the restore as expected within a minute or two.
>
> So something is wrong either with the sign key detection, or with sign key usage in a past backup. Ignoring sign keys resolves the primary issue. Does that explain anything?
>
> Yves Goergen
> http://unclassified.software

I tried that several times, because I also needed to find the correct
time of backup to restore.

Here's the version:

gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.20