restore from backup: can files be deleted again, which didn't exist back in time?

restore from backup: can files be deleted again, which didn't exist back in time?

Marco Moller
Hello,
I would like to use rdiff-backup to create a system restore point, in order to have a backup from which I could recover a previous system state after maybe having problems with an "apt-get upgrade" or my own stupid system changes. I understand how the incremental backup will be done, and how I could recover to any older state of a file, or restoring a file which meanwhile became lost in my computer. But I do not understand from the documentation how rdiff-backup treats the situation in which a file did not exist back in time and a system restoration is requested for rebuilding my system state as it was back in time.

1) Will rdiff-backup recognize that a meanwhile present file wasn't present back in time and thus delete the meanwhile present file, so that the restore does not just merge the files from the backup with the present files?

2) Just for curiosity, if rdiff-backup would take care of the "not only merge" situation and would properly delete the newly appeared files again, where does rdiff-backup store the information about the files which maybe would have to be deleted?

Thanks a lot in advance! The proper answer could also be added to the rdiff-backup documentation, by the way.
Talby.

Re: restore from backup: can files be deleted again, which didn't exist back in time?

Robert Nichols-2
On 10/09/2015 04:47 AM, Marco Moller wrote:
> 1) Will rdiff-backup recognize that a meanwhile present file wasn't
> present back in time and thus delete the meanwhile present file, so
> that the restore does not just merge the files from the backup with
> the present files?

rdiff-backup never merges. If you restore to an existing directory
(which requires "--force"), that directory and any subdirectories
will be restored to the state they were at that time in the archive.
Anything else gets deleted.

> 2) Just for curiosity, if rdiff-backup would take care of the "not
> only merge" situation and would properly delete the newly appeared
> files again, where does rdiff-backup store the information about the
> files which maybe would have to be deleted?

That determination is made at the time you do the restore. Anything
found that is not part of the restore gets deleted.

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.