scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Joop Stakenborg-4
Good afternoon,

I have been using tlf 2 times today: during the ukrainian DX contest and
the HSC CW contest. I have managed to write a rules file for the
ukrainian, but not for the HSC.

Does anyone know how to do this? Multiplier is easy enough with
COUNTRY_MULT but how do you score points? It is 5 points for member, who
send their member number and 1 point for non-members, who send 'NM'.

Also, is there a way for tlf to automatically fill in the member number
in the exchange field, like yfktest does?

Regards,

Joop PG4I, HSC #1100

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Ervin Hegedüs - HA2OS
Hi Joop,

On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 05:41:26PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

> I have been using tlf 2 times today: during the ukrainian DX contest and the
> HSC CW contest. I have managed to write a rules file for the ukrainian, but
> not for the HSC.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this? Multiplier is easy enough with COUNTRY_MULT
> but how do you score points? It is 5 points for member, who send their
> member number and 1 point for non-members, who send 'NM'.

I'm afraid actually you can't do that.

There are so much possibilities to control the scoring, but not
for this.

> Also, is there a way for tlf to automatically fill in the member number in
> the exchange field, like yfktest does?

yes, I think that could work - see INITIAL_EXCHANGE directive
(where you're one example :))

73, Ervin
HA2OS

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Koos van den Hout PE4KH
On 11/3/19 5:41 PM, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

> I have been using tlf 2 times today: during the ukrainian DX contest and
> the HSC CW contest. I have managed to write a rules file for the
> ukrainian, but not for the HSC.

Please share the rules file you made for the ukranian DX contest with
the list so it can be included in a future version of tlf.

Compared to other contest software TLF could use support for some more
contests. So if you create a rules file that works please share it so
others can test/improve it and it can be added to the distributed
archive (so please share your files with the same license as tlf itself).

Just a thought from a satisfied user!

Koos PE4KH

--
PE4KH amateur radio station
https://pe4kh.idefix.net/

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Joop Stakenborg-4
Hi Ervin, thanks for the reply!

Op 03-11-19 om 19:56 schreef Ervin Hegedüs:

> Hi Joop,
>
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 05:41:26PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
>> I have been using tlf 2 times today: during the ukrainian DX contest and the
>> HSC CW contest. I have managed to write a rules file for the ukrainian, but
>> not for the HSC.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to do this? Multiplier is easy enough with COUNTRY_MULT
>> but how do you score points? It is 5 points for member, who send their
>> member number and 1 point for non-members, who send 'NM'.
> I'm afraid actually you can't do that.
>
> There are so much possibilities to control the scoring, but not
> for this.

So, what would it take to have this added to tlf?

We already have ONEPOINT, TWOPOINTS and THREEPOINTS, can we also have
FIVEPOINTS? Even better, how about adding points depending on the
exchange, something like POINTS="NM",1. Using POINTS= would make
configuration of scoring easier. We could use POINTS=1, POINTS=2,
POINTS=3, POINTS=5 instead of ONEPOINT, TWOPOINTS and THREEPOINTS or
even FIVEPOINTS. Of course multiple POINTS= lines would have to be
possible. For example:

POINTS=5

POINTS="NM",1

>> Also, is there a way for tlf to automatically fill in the member number in
>> the exchange field, like yfktest does?
> yes, I think that could work - see INITIAL_EXCHANGE directive
> (where you're one example :))

Thanks, I will have a look. I am still using yfktest in the CWOPS mini
CWT contest, but would like to migrate to tlf completely because
development of yfktest has stopped.

> 73, Ervin
> HA2OS

73 de Joop PG4I

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Joop Stakenborg-4
Hoi Koos!

Op 03-11-19 om 20:46 schreef Koos van den Hout PE4KH:

> On 11/3/19 5:41 PM, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
>
>> I have been using tlf 2 times today: during the ukrainian DX contest and
>> the HSC CW contest. I have managed to write a rules file for the
>> ukrainian, but not for the HSC.
> Please share the rules file you made for the ukranian DX contest with
> the list so it can be included in a future version of tlf.
>
> Compared to other contest software TLF could use support for some more
> contests. So if you create a rules file that works please share it so
> others can test/improve it and it can be added to the distributed
> archive (so please share your files with the same license as tlf itself).

Here it is. See the attachments, I have added a .txt extension so your
email programs wil recognize it as a text file. My logcfg.dat contains a
first line with RULES=ukrainian_dx, pointing to the file ukrainian_dx in
the rules directory.

I am unsure if the multiplier list needs the '-end-' line, must have
look at the source code. It is not mentioned in the manual page.

> Just a thought from a satisfied user!
>
> Koos PE4KH

Joop PG4I

ukrainian_dx.txt (1K) Download Attachment
ukrainian_dx_mults.txt (118 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

SP3RXO
Hi all,
Below is part of my rules file for URDX Contest.
The only problem is that multiplier for very first qso with UR station
should be 2: 1 for UR district and 1 for dxcc. Have no idea how to do it
with tlf rules?

#
COUNTRYLIST=UR
COUNTRY_LIST_POINTS=10
MY_COUNTRY_POINTS=1
MY_CONTINENT_POINTS=2
DX_POINTS=3
MIXED
MULT_LIST=urdxc_mult
DX_&_SECTIONS
#SERIAL_EXCHANGE
SERIAL_OR_SECTION
RECALL_MULTS
INITIAL_EXCHANGE=UKRAINDX.txt
#

73!
Slav, SP3RXO & EI2IDB
FISTS #19019

0xD1A3320970F8F900.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Joop Stakenborg-4
Hello Slav,

have you checked my rules file for the URDX?

The very first QSO with UR correctly counts 2 multipliers and 10 points.
I have just checked with a new log.

Regards,

Joop PG4I

Op 04-11-19 om 10:48 schreef SP3RXO:

> Hi all,
> Below is part of my rules file for URDX Contest.
> The only problem is that multiplier for very first qso with UR station
> should be 2: 1 for UR district and 1 for dxcc. Have no idea how to do it
> with tlf rules?
>
> #
> COUNTRYLIST=UR
> COUNTRY_LIST_POINTS=10
> MY_COUNTRY_POINTS=1
> MY_CONTINENT_POINTS=2
> DX_POINTS=3
> MIXED
> MULT_LIST=urdxc_mult
> DX_&_SECTIONS
> #SERIAL_EXCHANGE
> SERIAL_OR_SECTION
> RECALL_MULTS
> INITIAL_EXCHANGE=UKRAINDX.txt
> #
>
> 73!
> Slav, SP3RXO & EI2IDB
> FISTS #19019
>
> W dniu 04.11.2019 o 08:37, Joop Stakenborg pisze:
>> Hoi Koos!

>>> Please share the rules file you made for the ukranian DX contest with
>>> the list so it can be included in a future version of tlf.
>>>
>>> Compared to other contest software TLF could use support for some more
>>> contests. So if you create a rules file that works please share it so
>>> others can test/improve it and it can be added to the distributed
>>> archive (so please share your files with the same license as tlf itself).
>>
>> Here it is. See the attachments, I have added a .txt extension so your
>> email programs wil recognize it as a text file. My logcfg.dat contains a
>> first line with RULES=ukrainian_dx, pointing to the file ukrainian_dx in
>> the rules directory.
>>
>> I am unsure if the multiplier list needs the '-end-' line, must have
>> look at the source code. It is not mentioned in the manual page.
>>
>>>    Just a thought from a satisfied user!
>>>
>>> Koos PE4KH
>>>
>> Joop PG4I

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi all,

just give my 2 cents to your discussion.

Am Mon, 4 Nov 2019 20:25:13 +0100
schrieb Joop Stakenborg <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Slav,
>

> have you checked my rules file for the URDX?
>
> The very first QSO with UR correctly counts 2 multipliers and 10
> points. I have just checked with a new log.

Joop your rules are correct because the 'DX_&_SECTIONS' keyword scores
the sum of worked countrys and sections as multiplier (see showscore.c
line 181).

...snip

> >> Here it is. See the attachments, I have added a .txt extension so
> >> your email programs wil recognize it as a text file. My logcfg.dat
> >> contains a first line with RULES=ukrainian_dx, pointing to the
> >> file ukrainian_dx in the rules directory.
> >>
> >> I am unsure if the multiplier list needs the '-end-' line, must
> >> have look at the source code. It is not mentioned in the manual
> >> page.

No it does not need the '-end-' line. That is a leftover from old TLF
examples. You can drop it. Otherwise any '-end-' in the exchange field
will be counted as multi.

73, de Tom DL1JBE.

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

SP3RXO
Thanks Joop!
I can see now. I omit SECTION_MULT.
Good job!

73!
Slav, SP3RXO & EI2IDB
FISTS #19019

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 09:23:25AM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

> Op 03-11-19 om 19:56 schreef Ervin Hegedüs:
> >Hi Joop,
> >
> >On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 05:41:26PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> >>I have been using tlf 2 times today: during the ukrainian DX contest and the
> >>HSC CW contest. I have managed to write a rules file for the ukrainian, but
> >>not for the HSC.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know how to do this? Multiplier is easy enough with COUNTRY_MULT
> >>but how do you score points? It is 5 points for member, who send their
> >>member number and 1 point for non-members, who send 'NM'.
> >I'm afraid actually you can't do that.
> >
> >There are so much possibilities to control the scoring, but not
> >for this.
>
> So, what would it take to have this added to tlf?
>
> We already have ONEPOINT, TWOPOINTS and THREEPOINTS, can we also have
> FIVEPOINTS?

this is a good question :).

I think there is some historical reason (as many other things in
Tlf :)), but of course, we can change it. The first part of your
ideas are simple (POINTS=n).

> Even better, how about adding points depending on the exchange,
> something like POINTS="NM",1. Using POINTS= would make configuration of
> scoring easier. We could use POINTS=1, POINTS=2, POINTS=3, POINTS=5 instead
> of ONEPOINT, TWOPOINTS and THREEPOINTS or even FIVEPOINTS. Of course
> multiple POINTS= lines would have to be possible. For example:
>
> POINTS=5
>
> POINTS="NM",1

I think that something like this could be a solution, but what
about the other patterns? What if you can describe the pattern
only with some regex?

> >>Also, is there a way for tlf to automatically fill in the member number in
> >>the exchange field, like yfktest does?
> >yes, I think that could work - see INITIAL_EXCHANGE directive
> >(where you're one example :))
> >

> Thanks, I will have a look. I am still using yfktest in the CWOPS mini CWT
> contest, but would like to migrate to tlf completely because development of
> yfktest has stopped.

ahm, sorry to hear that. :(

73, Ervin

Re: scoring the HSC contest with tlf

Thomas Beierlein-4
Am Tue, 5 Nov 2019 17:05:24 +0100
schrieb Joop Stakenborg <[hidden email]>:

> > No it does not need the '-end-' line. That is a leftover from old
> > TLF examples. You can drop it. Otherwise any '-end-' in the
> > exchange field will be counted as multi.
> >

> Yes. I noticed this when testing my configuration. There are still a
> couple of files in git which have the "-end-" line:
>
> arrlsections, paccmults and spdxmults. Maybe it's worth fixing them?

Sure. Thanks for pointing them out. I put it on the ToDo list (that is
an easy one ;-) ).

73, de Tom

--
"Do what is needful!"