seeking peers for keyserver.vanbaak.eu

Michiel van Baak
Hi all,

I am looking for peers for a new SKS keyserver installation.

I am running SKS version 1.1.6, on keyserver.vanbaak.eu.
The GOSSIP part is running on sks.pgp.vanbaak.eu because of internal
routing and IP policies.
This is a private machine.
The server is physically located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands (EU).
The machine has IPv6 connectivity, both for
http(s)://keyserver.vanbaak.eu, the HKP and GOSSIP protocols.

I have loaded a keydump from http://keys.niif.hu/keydump/, dated 2018-02-11.
I see 5430130 keys loaded.
(See https://keyserver.vanbaak.eu/pks/lookup?op=stats for stats)

For operational issues, please contact me directly.

sks.pgp.vanbaak.eu   11370   # Michiel van Baak <[hidden email]> 0x6FFC75A2679ED069

Please send me a mail when you accept my peering request with your
membership line.

Thank you,
--
Michiel van Baak
[hidden email]

NB: I have a new GPG key. Old one revoked and revoked key updated on keyservers.

Re: seeking peers for keyserver.vanbaak.eu

Todd Fleisher
On Feb 16, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Michiel van Baak <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am running SKS version 1.1.6, on keyserver.vanbaak.eu.
The GOSSIP part is running on sks.pgp.vanbaak.eu because of internal
routing and IP policies.

Can you clarify what you are trying to convey here? Both of those hostnames resolve to the same IP address currently & report:

-T

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 09:26:55AM -0800, Todd Fleisher wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 2019, at 6:19 AM, Michiel van Baak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I am running SKS version 1.1.6, on keyserver.vanbaak.eu.
> > The GOSSIP part is running on sks.pgp.vanbaak.eu because of internal
> > routing and IP policies.
>
> Can you clarify what you are trying to convey here? Both of those hostnames resolve to the same IP address currently & report:
>
> Hostname: keyserver.vanbaak.eu

Yes, I can

My connection is fiber-to-the-home with 1 static ipv4 address and a
static /48 ipv6 prefix.

The keyserver.vanbaak.eu and sks.pgp.vanbaak.eu resolve to the same ipv4
address (the one and only I have) but they resolve to different ipv6
addresses.
This, because the vm running nginx has a different address than the one
running sks.
Since one can proxy all ports in nginx, except for the GOSSIP protocol,
I pointed keyserver.vanbaak.eu to my webserver, and sks.pgp.vanbaak.eu
to the sks server.

I hope this makes some sense.

--
Michiel van Baak
[hidden email]
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6FFC75A2679ED069

NB: I have a new GPG key. Old one revoked and revoked key updated on keyservers.

Re: seeking peers for keyserver.vanbaak.eu

Todd Fleisher
I see. The resolver I used only showed me your IPV4 addresses. Perhaps a more seasoned list member can advise if this will work properly as I’ve not yet come across such a setup. I believe the gossip protocol uses the hostname value provided on the stats page and am unsure how (or if) it would work to have the gossip using a different hostname/IP.

-T

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:51:58AM -0800, Todd Fleisher wrote:
> I see. The resolver I used only showed me your IPV4 addresses. Perhaps a more seasoned list member can advise if this will work properly as I’ve not yet come across such a setup. I believe the gossip protocol uses the hostname value provided on the stats page and am unsure how (or if) it would work to have the gossip using a different hostname/IP.

Ok, if that's the case ...
I have peered with three others now, and I see updates flowing in and
out.

Please let me know if my setup is causing problems.
--
Michiel van Baak
[hidden email]
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6FFC75A2679ED069

NB: I have a new GPG key. Old one revoked and revoked key updated on keyservers.

Re: seeking peers for keyserver.vanbaak.eu

Todd Fleisher
> On Feb 17, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Michiel van Baak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:51:58AM -0800, Todd Fleisher wrote:
>> I see. The resolver I used only showed me your IPV4 addresses. Perhaps a more seasoned list member can advise if this will work properly as I’ve not yet come across such a setup. I believe the gossip protocol uses the hostname value provided on the stats page and am unsure how (or if) it would work to have the gossip using a different hostname/IP.
>
> Ok, if that's the case ...
> I have peered with three others now, and I see updates flowing in and
> out.

If it’s working for you it might be fine and I’m just missing or misunderstanding something.

> Please let me know if my setup is causing problems.

I’ll have defer to the more seasoned and/or knowledgeable members of the list about this.

-T