--sendsms "Nickname <number>"

Raphaël Droz
Hi,

I'd really like to have a possibility to pass a "destination" in a more
complex form than the current digit-only notation.

That would open the door to completion of --sendsms using the output of
address managers.

But for this to work, gnokii must accept an argument which would not
only be digit-only (ie: containing named "prefix")
Although Gnokii would ignore it, it's need for the completion-process to
work (since bash does not provide a distinction between what is
"suggested" and what is actually "completed" on the command line)

In order to avoid complex parser-code and before writing an initial
patch, I'd like to know what are your thoughts about that? What format
should be accepted?

I'm thinking about:
destination="whatever string <number>"
Thus, if the first char of arg is not part of [0123456789+] then expect
the destination to start after the first "<"
Other form are possible, like:
arg="whatever string: number"
arg="whatever string@number"
[it's up to the address manager to be flexible enough in order to output
the desired form]

If --sendsms never allowed (and will never allow) sending emails
(although most cellphone allows that), then using the first form
(derived from the email notation) should be fine.

best regards

Re: --sendsms "Nickname <number>"

Noel Butler

I doubt it could use option --sendsms because of sanity checking, maybe a separate option to allow it.. i dunno...

On 27/11/2014 03:29, Raphaël Droz wrote:

[...]

arg="whatever [hidden email]"
[it's up to the address manager to be flexible enough in order to output
the desired form]

If --sendsms never allowed (and will never allow) sending emails
(although most cellphone allows that), then using the first form
(derived from the email notation) should be fine.

best regards

Re: --sendsms "Nickname <number>"

Raphaël Droz
The point was to look at what non-intrusive modifications could be done
to the --sendsms option in order to add more complex patterns of
<destination>.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 08:36:45AM +1000, Noel Butler wrote:
> I doubt it could use option --sendsms because of sanity checking

Is it a statement that the <destination> argument of the --sendsms
option mustn't be altered in any way?
Could you please elaborate, I didn't got it.

> On 27/11/2014 03:29, Raphaël wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd really like to have a possibility to pass a "destination" in a more
> > complex form than the current digit-only notation.
> >
> > That would open the door to completion of --sendsms using the output of
> > address managers.
> >
> > But for this to work, gnokii must accept an argument which would not
> > only be digit-only (ie: containing named "prefix")
> > Although Gnokii would ignore it, it's need for the completion-process to
> > work (since bash does not provide a distinction between what is
> > "suggested" and what is actually "completed" on the command line)
> >
> > In order to avoid complex parser-code and before writing an initial
> > patch, I'd like to know what are your thoughts about that? What format
> > should be accepted?
> >
> > I'm thinking about:
> > destination="whatever string <number>"
> > Thus, if the first char of arg is not part of [0123456789+] then expect
> > the destination to start after the first "<"
> > Other form are possible, like:
> > arg="whatever string: number"
> > arg="whatever string@number"
> > [it's up to the address manager to be flexible enough in order to output
> > the desired form]
> >
> > If --sendsms never allowed (and will never allow) sending emails
> > (although most cellphone allows that), then using the first form
> > (derived from the email notation) should be fine.
> >
> > best regards

> Links:
> ------

GPG id: 0xD7F62B21

Re: --sendsms "Nickname <number>"

Raphaël Droz
Since bash completion for gnokii was recently pushed in the
bash-completion git tree, I'd like to bring up this question again:

--
GPG id: 0xF41572CEBD4218F4