setting up hockeypuck keyserver

Fabian A. Santiago
can anyone on here assist with setting up hockeypuck?

I've received help prior from a friendly user who got me up & running
with mongodb. but it was SLOW to import a dump (days) and never caught
up with my sks keyserver (maybe erroring out on gossip).

would it be faster using postgresql?

is there something special to configure in order to get it to gossip
properly with sks servers as well as other hockeypucks?

are there any instructions out there for setting up postgresql properly
to be used with it?

anything anyone can provide would be great as the hockeypuck docs site
https://hockeypuck.github.io doesn't contain much in the way of finer
details.

thanks.

--
Fabian S.

0x643082042DC83E6D94B86C405E3DAA18A1C22D8F (new key)

***

0x3C3FA072ACCB7AC5DB0F723455502B0EEB9070FC (to be retired, still valid)

Re: setting up hockeypuck keyserver

dirk astrath
Hello,

Postgres ist way faster and sustainable compared to mongodb (tested both
on different machines).

The recon-parameters on hockeypuck-site needs to be modified so it can
synchronize to the network (check the logfiles on sks and hockeypuck size).

Unfortunately I don't run any keyserver currently due to several issues,
so i need to pull these settings out of a backup ... but can do it if
neccessary ...

Kind regards,

dirk

On 31.08.2018 21:06, Fabian A. Santiago wrote:

> can anyone on here assist with setting up hockeypuck?
>
> I've received help prior from a friendly user who got me up & running
> with mongodb. but it was SLOW to import a dump (days) and never caught
> up with my sks keyserver (maybe erroring out on gossip).
>
> would it be faster using postgresql?
>
> is there something special to configure in order to get it to gossip
> properly with sks servers as well as other hockeypucks?
>
> are there any instructions out there for setting up postgresql properly
> to be used with it?
>
> anything anyone can provide would be great as the hockeypuck docs site
> https://hockeypuck.github.io doesn't contain much in the way of finer
> details.
>
> thanks.

Re: setting up hockeypuck keyserver

Moritz Wirth-2

You have to set the filters to get the reconciliation working with SKS:

[hockeypuck.conflux.recon]
reconAddr=":11370"
version="1.1.6"
filters=["yminsky.dedup", "yminsky.merge"]

For Postgresql:

[hockeypuck.openpgp.db]
driver="postgres-jsonb"
dsn="database=hkp host=/var/run/postgresql port=5432 sslmode=disable"

Create the database and run hockeypuck-load as postgre user - that should be enough to start with a clean installation (you must use postgresql > 9.4) - the tables are created by hockeypuck-load - 100k keys take about 3-5 minutes to be imported so the whole process should be done in 3-4 hours.

In case your import fails, I can provide a database dump of my MongoDB/PostgreSQL databases.

Regards,

Moritz

Am 02.09.18 um 01:10 schrieb Fabian A. Santiago:
[...]

Close,

Command needs to be run as hockeypuck user.

You need to create an hkp dB and hockeypuck role and grant ownership over the dB (at least that worked for me).

Otherwise, it’s working and importing now. Thanks for your help. I’ll advise when it’s done and I can see whether or not I have good recon.

--

On Saturday, Sep 01, 2018 at 7:14 PM, Moritz Wirth <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ok,

So trying to run in user space produces:

[{/build/hockeypuck-lsqW7K/hockeypuck-2.0~rc2~1437340214+54df397~trusty/src/gopkg.in/hockeypuck/pghkp.v1/storage.go:112: } {/build/hockeypuck-lsqW7K/hockeypuck-2.0~rc2~1437340214+54df397~trusty/src/gopkg.in/hockeypuck/pghkp.v1/storage.go:122: } {dial unix /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432: no such file or directory}]

I have postgresql version 10.5 installed on Ubuntu 14.04.5. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

--

On Sunday, Sep 02, 2018 at 6:54 PM, Fabian A. Santiago <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ahh, damn, it had stopped. Ok service starts now but I’m missing keys which suggests it stopped during the key load for which I think I may know why. Ok back to the drawing board. Standby. Thanks.

--

Fabian A. Santiago

On Sunday, Sep 02, 2018 at 7:37 PM, Moritz Wirth <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yeh it had stopped cause I ran out of disk space during the key import. Resizing now and will try again later.

--

Fabian A. Santiago

On Sunday, Sep 02, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Fabian A. Santiago <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hot Dog, finally it’s fully up and running with the correct # of expected keys. And syncing with my sks server (hopefully). Will check the logs out in a bit. Thanks for your help everyone. Ideally I think I would like to move my peers into the hockeypuck server eventually assuming I see its working with my sks and gossiping ok. Standby.

--

Fabian A. Santiago

On Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 5:14 PM, Fabian A. Santiago <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew Gallagher
On 06/09/18 12:16, Fabian A. Santiago wrote:
> Hot Dog, finally it’s fully up and running with the correct # of
> expected keys. And syncing with my sks server (hopefully). Will check
> the logs out in a bit. Thanks for your help everyone. Ideally I think I
> would like to move my peers into the hockeypuck server eventually
> assuming I see its working with my sks and gossiping ok. Standby.

I for one would be most interested if you could collate your experiences
into a howto... :-)

--
Andrew Gallagher

On 2018-09-06 07:56 AM, Andrew Gallagher wrote:

> I for one would be most interested if you could collate your
> experiences
> into a howto... :-)

i will gladly write something up about my experience once i'm sure it's
up and running properly.

looking into my recon logs on both ends (hockeypuck and my prior sks
server), i question some of what i see.

in sks recon.log i see sks requesting missing keys from h..puck and
getting them. but i also see sks reporting "recon attempt FROM h..puck
while gossip disabled. ignoring." so i'm not sure but it seems something
is still off with recon.

on the h..puck side i see in its log that SOME connections from sks have
been reset by peer. so these i'm assuming are the recon ignores reported
by sks.

when i look at both the sks pool status pages on the web and my own
h..puck's status page, the h..puck server's version number is listed as
2.0~rc2~..., even though in my config file i have set the
'version="1.1.6"' parameter. so i also don't know why it's misreporting
its version, apparently.  any thoughts? or have i misunderstood what the
field should say? i also have in my h..puck config two filters,
yminsky.dedup & yminsky.merge. i did notice on my h..puck stats page,
under settings, my http is reported as 127.0.0.1:11371 (I'm reverse
proxied behind nginx) and recon as simply :11370. does this seem
correct? you can see it for yourself at:

http://keys2.fspproductions.biz/pks/lookup?op=stats

does anyone have a working hockeypuck server they care to peer with my
own? My key count sits at 5312283. My peer line for hockeypuck is:

[hockeypuck.conflux.recon.partner.peerX]
httpAddr="keys2.fspproductions.biz:11371"
reconAddr="keys2.fspproductions.biz:11370"

and my contact remains

Fabian A. Santiago <[hidden email]>
0x643082042dc83e6d94b86c405e3daa18a1c22d8f

The server should be reachable via both IPv4 & 6 but currently does not
offer ssl (hkps). It will eventually once I'm done setting it up but NOT
thru an official pool trusted cert.

Thanks.

--
Fabian S.

On 2018-09-06 09:39 AM, Fabian A. Santiago wrote:

> On 2018-09-06 07:56 AM, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
>
>> I for one would be most interested if you could collate your
>> experiences
>> into a howto... :-)
>>

> i will gladly write something up about my experience once i'm sure
> it's up and running properly.
>
> looking into my recon logs on both ends (hockeypuck and my prior sks
> server), i question some of what i see.
>
> in sks recon.log i see sks requesting missing keys from h..puck and
> getting them. but i also see sks reporting "recon attempt FROM h..puck
> while gossip disabled. ignoring." so i'm not sure but it seems
> something is still off with recon.
>
> on the h..puck side i see in its log that SOME connections from sks
> have been reset by peer. so these i'm assuming are the recon ignores
> reported by sks.
>
> when i look at both the sks pool status pages on the web and my own
> h..puck's status page, the h..puck server's version number is listed
> as 2.0~rc2~..., even though in my config file i have set the
> 'version="1.1.6"' parameter. so i also don't know why it's
> misreporting its version, apparently.  any thoughts? or have i
> misunderstood what the field should say? i also have in my h..puck
> config two filters, yminsky.dedup & yminsky.merge. i did notice on my
> h..puck stats page, under settings, my http is reported as
> 127.0.0.1:11371 (I'm reverse proxied behind nginx) and recon as simply
> :11370. does this seem correct? you can see it for yourself at:
>
> http://keys2.fspproductions.biz/pks/lookup?op=stats
>
> does anyone have a working hockeypuck server they care to peer with my
> own? My key count sits at 5312283. My peer line for hockeypuck is:
>
> [hockeypuck.conflux.recon.partner.peerX]
> httpAddr="keys2.fspproductions.biz:11371"
> reconAddr="keys2.fspproductions.biz:11370"
>
> and my contact remains
>
> Fabian A. Santiago <[hidden email]>
> 0x643082042dc83e6d94b86c405e3daa18a1c22d8f
>
> The server should be reachable via both IPv4 & 6 but currently does
> not offer ssl (hkps). It will eventually once I'm done setting it up
> but NOT thru an official pool trusted cert.
>
> Thanks.

i can also add that my key count is steadily rising. i'm now at 5312329,
so it appears as though it may be working even though i don't fully
understand why or what i'm seeing in the logs.

--
Fabian S.