sks install problems

David Young-17
Hi, I don't know how active this mailing list is, but I'm trying to run a SKS server for our company's internal use.  However, I'm having a lot of problems compiling the code (ver.1.0.10).  Documentation seems non-existent and most of the links on the main website seem broken.

Can someone point me to the right direction on getting the code to compile on my server?

By the way, I'm running RedHat AS5 (64bit).  Also, is there any documentation that I can browse through besides the README that comes with the source code?

Thanks

Re: sks install problems

John Clizbe-3

Re: sks install problems

David Young-17
OK, I managed to get the code to compile.  The link and documenation helped.  Still had to edit a lot of files that weren't documented to make it work, but I finally got it compiled.

One question: I'm using this as a private key server for our company to keep track of PGP keys for company employees.  Is this software not made for that?  Everything about it seem to suggest a distributed public key server model only.  Is there a free product out there besides pks that would work better?

Thanks

Re: sks install problems

John Clizbe-3

Re: sks install problems

David Young-17
No, I meant is there another product besides pks and sks?  Well, considering that I just got sks up and running, I really haven't used it much.  However, I did get to play with it a bit and the lack of good documentation (or maybe I'm just bad at finding it) makes the product difficult to administer.  For one, adding and removing keys is not that easy since you need the hash and unless you kept the db.log, I don't know where else to find it.  There's also no easy way to list the content of the database or to manipulate its data.

It does seem pretty fast serving and searching for keys with the few keys I imported.  I wouldn't mind updating the document for sks, but the link to wiki is broken.  Plus, is the code still being maintained?  Last code release was 5 years ago.  Do you know if Yaron is still working on this project?

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:44 PM, John Clizbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

You mean SKS, not PKS right? No SKS can be used in a non-distributed
environment. I'd recommend it over PKS any day,

If you're already running some version of LDAP for directory services, you could
always extend that server's schema to serve keys.

Re: sks install problems

Dinko Korunic
On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 09:21:54AM -0800, David Young wrote:
>    product difficult to administer.  For one, adding and removing keys is

Adding keys is really trivial, it can be done either via e-mail, internal
Webserver, via CLI (sks merge). Regarding the key deletion, it's rather
easy to search for given key if you know any piece of information (name of
the person, e-mail, etc).

>    not that easy since you need the hash and unless you kept the db.log,
>    I don't know where else to find it.  There's also no easy way to list

Check the SKS webserver at local port 11371. Especially
/pks/lookup?search=...

>    the content of the database or to manipulate its data.

Why would you manipulate the data of a public keyserver which is meant to
be consistent with other public servers?

>    the link to wiki is broken.  Plus, is the code still being
>    maintained?  Last code release was 5 years ago.  Do you know if Yaron

Last BzrNG commit is dated 2007-08-26.

--
NAME:Dinko.kreator.Korunic   DISCLAIMER:Standard.disclaimer.applies
ICQ:16965294        JAB:[hidden email]        PGP:0xea160d0b