spec file issues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

spec file issues

Daniel Pocock-2
I just tried to do

  rpmbuild -tb confuse-2.6.tar.gz

using the distribution from the web site.

On RHEL4, it fails here:

/bin/cp COPYING
/var/tmp/build-libconfuse-2.6/usr/share/doc/libconfuse/COPYING
/bin/cp: cannot stat `COPYING': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.69023 (%install)

=> please include the full license text in a file called COPYING, the
ISC text can be cut and pasted from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISC_license 

On RHEL5, it fails like this:

error: Legacy syntax is unsupported: copyright
error: line 32: Unknown tag: Copyright:         ISC

=> rename the tag Copyright, call it `License' instead

- Copyright:  ISC
+ License:    ISC

On RHEL5, after fixing the Copyright tag, it fails on fwrite (not
checking return value).  RHEL5 rpmbuild uses -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2, so it
fails even though this is just a warning:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
lexer.c: In function 'cfg_yylex':
lexer.l:270: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite', declared with
attribute warn_unused_result

Given that the RHEL5 version of flex is generating this (bad?) code, it
is not a fault in confuse, and so some kind of workaround is needed,
such as :

  %pre
  %setup ...
+ RPM_OPT_FLAGS="`echo $RPM_OPT_FLAGS | sed -e 's@-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE[=0-9]*@@'`"
  CFLAGS="${RPM_OPT_FLAGS}" \

Regards,

Daniel



_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: spec file issues

Bugzilla from flameeyes@gmail.com
On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 10:48 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
> Given that the RHEL5 version of flex is generating this (bad?) code,
> it
> is not a fault in confuse, and so some kind of workaround is needed,
> such as :
>
Between un-fortifying the C library and disabling -Werror, I'd sincerely
suggest the latter...

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: spec file issues

Daniel Pocock-2
Diego E. “Flameeyes” Pettenò wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 10:48 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>  
>> Given that the RHEL5 version of flex is generating this (bad?) code,
>> it
>> is not a fault in confuse, and so some kind of workaround is needed,
>> such as :
>>
>>    
> Between un-fortifying the C library and disabling -Werror, I'd sincerely
> suggest the latter...
>
>  
I notice that -Werror is specified in src/Makefile.am

Would you prefer to see it removed for all builds, or just selectively
remove -Werror for those platforms that have this issue?

configure could probably do some test to determine if the flex output is
good for FORTIFY_SOURCE


_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: spec file issues

Bugzilla from flameeyes@gmail.com
On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:34 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
> Would you prefer to see it removed for all builds, or just
> selectively
> remove -Werror for those platforms that have this issue?
>
I'm just a confuse user myself, but for Gentoo (I'm a Gentoo dev, but
not the confuse maintainer) I asked for some time already to remove
-Werror, and indeed our package does not build with -Werror at all.

For what it's worth, I already expressed my concerns about unconditional
-Werror in released packages at
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/02/25/future-proof-your-code-dont-use-werror ...

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: spec file issues

Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:42:43PM +0200, Diego E. ???Flameeyes??? Petten? wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:34 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> >
> > Would you prefer to see it removed for all builds, or just
> > selectively
> > remove -Werror for those platforms that have this issue?
> >
> I'm just a confuse user myself, but for Gentoo (I'm a Gentoo dev, but
> not the confuse maintainer) I asked for some time already to remove
> -Werror, and indeed our package does not build with -Werror at all.

the current trunk that should correspond to libconfuse 2.7 (at least has been
tagged as such for a while) doesn't have -Werror anymore for building the
library.

Carlo


_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: spec file issues

Daniel.Pocock
 

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> confuse-devel-bounces+daniel.pocock=barclayscapital.com@nongnu
> .org
> [mailto:confuse-devel-bounces+daniel.pocock=barclayscapital.co
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> Sent: 09 April 2009 07:48
> To: Diego E. ???Flameeyes??? Petten?
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Confuse-devel] spec file issues
>
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:42:43PM +0200, Diego E.
> ???Flameeyes??? Petten? wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:34 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > >
> > > Would you prefer to see it removed for all builds, or just
> > > selectively remove -Werror for those platforms that have
> this issue?
> > >
> > I'm just a confuse user myself, but for Gentoo (I'm a
> Gentoo dev, but
> > not the confuse maintainer) I asked for some time already to remove
> > -Werror, and indeed our package does not build with -Werror at all.
>
> the current trunk that should correspond to libconfuse 2.7
> (at least has been tagged as such for a while) doesn't have
> -Werror anymore for building the library.
>

If 2.7 is not likely to come for a while, maybe 2.6.1 could have this
fix and some of the other minor changes?
_______________________________________________

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.
_______________________________________________


_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

libConfuse maintainer?

Martin Hedenfalk-4
16 apr 2009 kl. 10.45 skrev <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]
 >:

>>
>> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:42:43PM +0200, Diego E.
>> ???Flameeyes??? Petten? wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:34 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Would you prefer to see it removed for all builds, or just
>>>> selectively remove -Werror for those platforms that have
>> this issue?
>>>>
>>> I'm just a confuse user myself, but for Gentoo (I'm a
>> Gentoo dev, but
>>> not the confuse maintainer) I asked for some time already to remove
>>> -Werror, and indeed our package does not build with -Werror at all.
>>
>> the current trunk that should correspond to libconfuse 2.7
>> (at least has been tagged as such for a while) doesn't have
>> -Werror anymore for building the library.
>>
>
> If 2.7 is not likely to come for a while, maybe 2.6.1 could have this
> fix and some of the other minor changes?

Hi,

Actually I'm swamped with work. I think the best would be if someone  
else took over maintenance of libConfuse. Is anyone interested? A move  
to github might be a first step. Opinions?

        -martin, libconfuse developer



_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libConfuse maintainer?

Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:38:33AM +0200, Martin Hedenfalk wrote:
>
> Actually I'm swamped with work. I think the best would be if someone  
> else took over maintenance of libConfuse. Is anyone interested?

I could help, as I work in a project that depends on libConfuse anyway
and think would be bad to leave a good project like this go unmaintained.

What is really needed to declare 2.7 stable for release?

> A move  to github might be a first step. Opinions?

just out of curiosity, what is wrong with savannah?

in any case, I'd been maintaining a  cvs imported tree of libConfuse
in my own git server for a while, so I though it was a good idea to
publish it in github as you suggested :

  http://github.com/carenas/confuse/tree/master

Carlo


_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: libConfuse maintainer?

ohnobinki
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:25:34AM +0000, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:38:33AM +0200, Martin Hedenfalk wrote:
> >
> > Actually I'm swamped with work. I think the best would be if someone  
> > else took over maintenance of libConfuse. Is anyone interested?

I don't have much time either, but I'd be willing to update the savannah project and website page and cast whatever's in the repository into a confuse-2.7 release tarball. I am registered on nongnu.org as ohnobinki.

> I could help, as I work in a project that depends on libConfuse anyway
> and think would be bad to leave a good project like this go unmaintained.
>
> What is really needed to declare 2.7 stable for release?
A tarball :-). Maybe publishing an RC, announcing it on the savannah page, and posting here to ask for testing and feedback for a 2.7 release? I have no idea what's best...

> > A move  to github might be a first step. Opinions?
>
> just out of curiosity, what is wrong with savannah?

Using git and telling users where to find the git tree helps make sharing patches easier. I'm not sure if github itself is necessary, though. But since nongnu doesn't appear to support git, github isn't a bad choice.

> in any case, I'd been maintaining a  cvs imported tree of libConfuse
> in my own git server for a while, so I though it was a good idea to
> publish it in github as you suggested :
>
>   http://github.com/carenas/confuse/tree/master

Is it possible to give martin, the original author, commit access to that github account?

Carlo, please actually make a release of libconfuse 2.7 as soon as is possible. I see a tag in the git repository, but it seems to me that this is not enough. I see that vapier (Mike) has tried to submit yet another patch on Gentoo's behalf to remove -Werror from the buildsystem where it doesn't belong . We just need stuff to be pushed along somehow. I really look forward to a confuse-2.7 release, and I think that others would as well :-).

There is a stray -Werror flag sitting in doc/Makefile.am, tests/Makefile.am. Removing these would be nice. I've made this and a few small Makefile.am tweaks at git://ohnopub.net/confuse .

--
ohnobinki

Look out for missing apostrophes! (or extraneous ones)


_______________________________________________
Confuse-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/confuse-devel