stumpwm and gnome-panel on Ubuntu 14.10

Shakthi Kannan-3
Hi,

I have stumpwm 0.9.8 (standalone) running with Ubuntu 14.10, but, I
would like to have the gnome-panel as well. I tried the config files
from the following documentation:

  https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/wiki/Ubuntu-12.04-and-Gnome-and-StumpWM

but, the screen froze when trying to log in. If anyone is using
stumpwm with the gnome-panel, can you please share your configuration
files?

Appreciate any help in this regard,

Thanks!

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Re: stumpwm and gnome-panel on Ubuntu 14.10

David Bjergaard
Hi,

You probably won't be able to run gnome-panel from 14.10 in stumpwm as
it is based on the newer GNOME 3 desktop.  Maybe you can check out
mate-panel? This is a project to keep GNOME 2 available for people who
still need some of the functionality that was lost switching to GNOME 3.

Depending on your needs, there is stumptray, a module that provides a
notification area for StumpWM's modeline.

    Dave

Shakthi Kannan <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have stumpwm 0.9.8 (standalone) running with Ubuntu 14.10, but, I
> would like to have the gnome-panel as well. I tried the config files
> from the following documentation:
>
>   https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/wiki/Ubuntu-12.04-and-Gnome-and-StumpWM
>
> but, the screen froze when trying to log in. If anyone is using
> stumpwm with the gnome-panel, can you please share your configuration
> files?
>
> Appreciate any help in this regard,
>
> Thanks!
>
> SK

Re: stumpwm and gnome-panel on Ubuntu 14.10

Mikael Jansson-2
There's a way to run older GNOME that includes gnome-panel. I can't
remember what it's called. I'm on 14.04 and this is my
gnome-stumpwm.session:

/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-stumpwm.session:
[GNOME Session]
Name=GNOME StumpWM
#RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon;
#RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon;stumpwm;notify-osd;
#RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon;stumpwm;notification-daemon;
#RequiredProviders=windowmanager;
#RequiredProviders=windowmanager;
#DefaultProvider-windowmanager=stumpwm
#DefaultProvider-notifications=notify-osd
RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;unity-settings-daemon;stumpwm;nautilus-classic;gnome-flashback-services;
DesktopName=GNOME

-- Micke

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 1:58 PM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You probably won't be able to run gnome-panel from 14.10 in stumpwm as
> it is based on the newer GNOME 3 desktop.  Maybe you can check out
> mate-panel? This is a project to keep GNOME 2 available for people who
> still need some of the functionality that was lost switching to GNOME 3.
>
> Depending on your needs, there is stumptray, a module that provides a
> notification area for StumpWM's modeline.
>
>     Dave
>
> Shakthi Kannan <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have stumpwm 0.9.8 (standalone) running with Ubuntu 14.10, but, I
>> would like to have the gnome-panel as well. I tried the config files
>> from the following documentation:
>>
>>   https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/wiki/Ubuntu-12.04-and-Gnome-and-StumpWM
>>
>> but, the screen froze when trying to log in. If anyone is using
>> stumpwm with the gnome-panel, can you please share your configuration
>> files?
>>
>> Appreciate any help in this regard,
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> SK

Re: stumpwm and gnome-panel on Ubuntu 14.10

Shakthi Kannan-3
Hi,

--- On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Mikael Jansson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
| I'm on 14.04 and this is my
| gnome-stumpwm.session:
\--

I have copied your file, but, I still don't see the gnome-panel. But,
if I open a terminal, and run gnome-panel, it opens the panel. I shall
try to customize mode-line for my needs.

As of now, I am able to load just StumpWM, and I am able to use the
shortcuts. Couple of quick queries:

#1 When opening gnome-terminal in a frame, it occupies only 1/3 of the
frame, in the middle, and there is white space above and below the
terminal. How to fix that?

#2 Is there a shortcut to swap the applications present in two windows
in one command?

Thanks for your prompt replies!

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Re: stumpwm and gnome-panel on Ubuntu 14.10

David Bjergaard
Hi Shakthi,
> #1 When opening gnome-terminal in a frame, it occupies only 1/3 of the
> frame, in the middle, and there is white space above and below the
> terminal. How to fix that?
You may be referring to behavior outlined here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/stumpwm-devel@.../msg01401.html

It doesn't look like it was ever fixed.

> #2 Is there a shortcut to swap the applications present in two windows
> in one command?
I think you want C-t C-t, or the command pull-hidden-other

    Dave

Shakthi Kannan <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> --- On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Mikael Jansson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> | I'm on 14.04 and this is my
> | gnome-stumpwm.session:
> \--
>
> I have copied your file, but, I still don't see the gnome-panel. But,
> if I open a terminal, and run gnome-panel, it opens the panel. I shall
> try to customize mode-line for my needs.
>
> As of now, I am able to load just StumpWM, and I am able to use the
> shortcuts. Couple of quick queries:
>
> #1 When opening gnome-terminal in a frame, it occupies only 1/3 of the
> frame, in the middle, and there is white space above and below the
> terminal. How to fix that?
>
> #2 Is there a shortcut to swap the applications present in two windows
> in one command?
>
> Thanks for your prompt replies!
>
> SK

Re: stumpwm and gnome-panel on Ubuntu 14.10

scottjad

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 11:48 AM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shakthi,
> #1 When opening gnome-terminal in a frame, it occupies only 1/3 of the
> frame, in the middle, and there is white space above and below the
> terminal. How to fix that?
You may be referring to behavior outlined here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/stumpwm-devel@.../msg01401.html

It doesn't look like it was ever fixed.

On this specific question Shakthi is talking about gnome-terminal, while David's link is referring to gnome-panel, so I'm guessing that's it's not the same issue.

It might be a GTK client side decorations issue, since I have seen those with some themes/apps leave large areas of the frame unused.

Scott

Re: stumpwm and gnome-panel on Ubuntu 14.10

Shakthi Kannan-3

--- On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:18 AM, David Bjergaard
<[hidden email]> wrote:
| I think you want C-t C-t, or the command pull-hidden-other
\--

That worked, but, I need to remember what was hidden? I was looking
for something to shuffle the windows repeatedly, similar to
http://xmonad.org/tour.html#shuffling.

SK

--- On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Scott Jaderholm <[hidden email]> wrote:
| On this specific question Shakthi is talking about gnome-terminal, while
| David's link is referring to gnome-panel, so I'm guessing that's it's not
| the same issue.
\--

Yes, it in not the same issue. I just added couple of more queries.

---