tlf and the nano editor

Joop Stakenborg-4
I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to work
with tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits and returns
straight away without opening nano. Both joe and vi work okay here. It
is hard to debug, have to spent some time on it to see what actually
happens. Maybe use gdb with a break added. I will have a look next week.

73 de Joop PG4I

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 22 Nov 08:07 -0600, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to work with
> tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits and returns straight
> away without opening nano. Both joe and vi work okay here. It is hard to
> debug, have to spent some time on it to see what actually happens. Maybe use
> gdb with a break added. I will have a look next week.

It should be fairly simple as I added mcedit to the list of available
editors.  A quick 'git grep mcedit' shows where mcedit was added:

$ git grep mcedit
ChangeLog:1117:  * share/logcfg.dat, src/editlog.c, src/parse_logcfg.c: Prefer 'mcedit' for
ChangeLog:1119:  Enable 'mcedit' as a log file editor.
share/logcfg.dat:33:#EDITOR=mcedit
src/changepars.c:359:           strcpy(cmdstring, "mcedit ");
src/editlog.c:63:       strcat(comstr, "mcedit  ");
src/parse_logcfg.c:904:     if ((strncmp(buff, "mcedit", 6) == 0)
tlf.1.in:282:Edit the log with your favourite editor (the editor (vi[m]|joe|e3|mcedit)
tlf.1.in:975:You can set your favourite editor (joe | vi[m] | e3 | mcedit) in the
tlf.1.in:1047:\fBEDITOR\fR=\fIjoe\fR | \fIvi\fR[\fIm\fR] | \fIe3\fR | \fImcedit\fR

This should help you get started, Joop.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Joop Stakenborg-4
Thanks Nate! Looks really simple... Will try it out next week.

Joop

Op 22 nov. 2019 15:13 schreef Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

* On 2019 22 Nov 08:07 -0600, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to work with
> tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits and returns straight
> away without opening nano. Both joe and vi work okay here. It is hard to
> debug, have to spent some time on it to see what actually happens. Maybe use
> gdb with a break added. I will have a look next week.

It should be fairly simple as I added mcedit to the list of available
editors.  A quick 'git grep mcedit' shows where mcedit was added:

$ git grep mcedit
ChangeLog:1117:  * share/logcfg.dat, src/editlog.c, src/parse_logcfg.c: Prefer 'mcedit' for
ChangeLog:1119:  Enable 'mcedit' as a log file editor.
share/logcfg.dat:33:#EDITOR=mcedit
src/changepars.c:359:           strcpy(cmdstring, "mcedit ");
src/editlog.c:63:       strcat(comstr, "mcedit  ");
src/parse_logcfg.c:904:     if ((strncmp(buff, "mcedit", 6) == 0)
tlf.1.in:282:Edit the log with your favourite editor (the editor (vi[m]|joe|e3|mcedit)
tlf.1.in:975:You can set your favourite editor (joe | vi[m] | e3 | mcedit) in the
tlf.1.in:1047:\fBEDITOR\fR=\fIjoe\fR | \fIvi\fR[\fIm\fR] | \fIe3\fR | \fImcedit\fR

This should help you get started, Joop.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Joop Stakenborg-4

Ah well... might as well add it right away, seems to work okay here. Diff attached!

Joop

Op 22-11-19 om 15:35 schreef [hidden email]:
Thanks Nate! Looks really simple... Will try it out next week.

Joop

Op 22 nov. 2019 15:13 schreef Nate Bargmann [hidden email]:

* On 2019 22 Nov 08:07 -0600, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to work with
> tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits and returns straight
> away without opening nano. Both joe and vi work okay here. It is hard to
> debug, have to spent some time on it to see what actually happens. Maybe use
> gdb with a break added. I will have a look next week.

It should be fairly simple as I added mcedit to the list of available
editors.  A quick 'git grep mcedit' shows where mcedit was added:

$ git grep mcedit
ChangeLog:1117:  * share/logcfg.dat, src/editlog.c, src/parse_logcfg.c: Prefer 'mcedit' for
ChangeLog:1119:  Enable 'mcedit' as a log file editor.
share/logcfg.dat:33:#EDITOR=mcedit
src/changepars.c:359:           strcpy(cmdstring, "mcedit ");
src/editlog.c:63:       strcat(comstr, "mcedit  ");
src/parse_logcfg.c:904:     if ((strncmp(buff, "mcedit", 6) == 0)
tlf.1.in:282:Edit the log with your favourite editor (the editor (vi[m]|joe|e3|mcedit)
tlf.1.in:975:You can set your favourite editor (joe | vi[m] | e3 | mcedit) in the
tlf.1.in:1047:\fBEDITOR\fR=\fIjoe\fR | \fIvi\fR[\fIm\fR] | \fIe3\fR | \fImcedit\fR

This should help you get started, Joop.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

tlf.diff (1K) Download Attachment

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Joop Stakenborg-4
Forgot to edit tlf.1.in. Sorry!

Op 22 nov. 2019, om 16:10 heeft Joop Stakenborg <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Ah well... might as well add it right away, seems to work okay here. Diff attached!

Joop

Op 22-11-19 om 15:35 schreef [hidden email]:
Thanks Nate! Looks really simple... Will try it out next week.

Joop

Op 22 nov. 2019 15:13 schreef Nate Bargmann [hidden email]:

* On 2019 22 Nov 08:07 -0600, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to work with
> tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits and returns straight
> away without opening nano. Both joe and vi work okay here. It is hard to
> debug, have to spent some time on it to see what actually happens. Maybe use
> gdb with a break added. I will have a look next week.

It should be fairly simple as I added mcedit to the list of available
editors.  A quick 'git grep mcedit' shows where mcedit was added:

$ git grep mcedit
ChangeLog:1117:  * share/logcfg.dat, src/editlog.c, src/parse_logcfg.c: Prefer 'mcedit' for
ChangeLog:1119:  Enable 'mcedit' as a log file editor.
share/logcfg.dat:33:#EDITOR=mcedit
src/changepars.c:359:           strcpy(cmdstring, "mcedit ");
src/editlog.c:63:       strcat(comstr, "mcedit  ");
src/parse_logcfg.c:904:     if ((strncmp(buff, "mcedit", 6) == 0)
tlf.1.in:282:Edit the log with your favourite editor (the editor (vi[m]|joe|e3|mcedit)
tlf.1.in:975:You can set your favourite editor (joe | vi[m] | e3 | mcedit) in the
tlf.1.in:1047:\fBEDITOR\fR=\fIjoe\fR | \fIvi\fR[\fIm\fR] | \fIe3\fR | \fImcedit\fR

This should help you get started, Joop.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

<tlf.diff>

Re: tlf and the nano editor

jim smith-3
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:06:14 +0100
Joop Stakenborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to
> work with tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits and
> returns straight away without opening nano. Both joe and vi work okay
> here. It is hard to debug, have to spent some time on it to see what
> actually happens. Maybe use gdb with a break added. I will have a
> look next week.
>

> 73 de Joop PG4I

Hi Joop,

I don't know if this helps any, but I don't have any problems running
nano with tlf on ubuntu 18.04. I have *not* updgraded to tlf 1.4 yet
(was going to do that this weekend.

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 22 Nov 09:19 -0600, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> Forgot to edit tlf.1.in. Sorry!

Just pass along your diff for it, Joop.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi all,

as the fixed choice of editors is quite a nuisance I prepared a
changed version for tests. Please find it at
https://github.com/dl1jbe/tlf/tree/new_editor

Download the code and build TLF as told in the INSTALL file. Do not
forget the 'autoreconf -i' step.

The new version accepts any string as editor command and will just call
that program with the logfile name as parameter.

That means

EDITOR=my-shiny-editor

in logcfg.dat will call

'my-shiny-editor <logfilename>'

So a simple EDITOR=nano should do afterwards.

Please test and give feedback.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Joop Stakenborg-4
Hi Tom,

it works okay for the :edit command, but you need to change the code for
both the :set and :cfg commands (which allows editing of logcfg.dat),
they both start the joe editor, even though I have EDITOR=nano in
logcfg.dat.

The code is in changepars.c

Thanks,

Joop

Op 22-11-19 om 20:19 schreef Thomas Beierlein:

> Hi all,
>
> as the fixed choice of editors is quite a nuisance I prepared a
> changed version for tests. Please find it at
> https://github.com/dl1jbe/tlf/tree/new_editor
>
> Download the code and build TLF as told in the INSTALL file. Do not
> forget the 'autoreconf -i' step.
>
> The new version accepts any string as editor command and will just call
> that program with the logfile name as parameter.
>
> That means
>
> EDITOR=my-shiny-editor
>
> in logcfg.dat will call
>
> 'my-shiny-editor <logfilename>'
>
> So a simple EDITOR=nano should do afterwards.
>
> Please test and give feedback.
>
> 73, de Tom DL1JBE
>
> Am Fri, 22 Nov 2019 11:08:52 -0600
> schrieb jim smith <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:06:14 +0100
>> Joop Stakenborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to
>>> work with tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits
>>> and returns straight away without opening nano. Both joe and vi
>>> work okay here. It is hard to debug, have to spent some time on it
>>> to see what actually happens. Maybe use gdb with a break added. I
>>> will have a look next week.
>>>

>>> 73 de Joop PG4I
>>>

>> Hi Joop,
>>
>> I don't know if this helps any, but I don't have any problems running
>> nano with tlf on ubuntu 18.04. I have *not* updgraded to tlf 1.4 yet
>> (was going to do that this weekend.

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi Joop,

thanks for the test. It was just a quick shot for a test. I will look
into it tomorrow evening.

In the case that someone forgot to specify the EDITOR= command I will
fall back to the editor specified in the environment.

73, de Tom

* On 2019 22 Nov 15:17 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> Hi Joop,

> In the case that someone forgot to specify the EDITOR= command I will
> fall back to the editor specified in the environment.

Very sensible, Tom.

It would be interesting if someone's favorite editor could not accept a
filename on the command line.  Also, I may have to see if a GUI editor
will work.  Heck, even Emacs might work! ;-)

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Nate Bargmann-4
My first test with EDITOR=gedit resulted in nothing happening.  I ran
gedit from another terminal and it opened fine.  Then I tried emacs
from the terminal and it opened fine in the GUI.  I then tested both
emacs and gedit as Tlf editors and they worked fine.  I'm not sure what
was going on so it might be useful for others to test GUI editors as
well.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Csahok Zoltan
My 2c: try with "export EDITOR=..."

73,
Zoli

* On 2019 23 Nov 01:18 -0600, Csahok Zoltan wrote:
> My 2c: try with "export EDITOR=..."

Hi Zoli,

This is the setting in log_cfg.dat that I am testing with Tom's new
patch to allow specifying any editor, not a shell variable.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Drew Arnett
Zoli's idea is the first thing I thought of, too.  But the suggested
method of using EDITOR from tlf config as first priority, then falling
back on the shell environmental variable as 2nd priority I think would
be better.  I could image someone preferring some editor for most of
their usual work, but wanting a different one for use from tlf.  For
example, I might usually use gvim, but want to use vim from tlf.  So,
EDITOR=gvim in the shell, and EDITOR=vim in the tlf config file.

Best regards,

Drew
n7da

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * On 2019 23 Nov 01:18 -0600, Csahok Zoltan wrote:
> > My 2c: try with "export EDITOR=..."
>
> Hi Zoli,
>
> This is the setting in log_cfg.dat that I am testing with Tom's new
> patch to allow specifying any editor, not a shell variable.
>
> 73, Nate
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Web: https://www.n0nb.us
> Projects: https://github.com/N0NB
> GPG fingerprint: 82D6 4F6B 0E67 CD41 F689 BBA6 FB2C 5130 D55A 8819

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Thomas Beierlein-4

please see the improved version on the same link as yesterday.

From the commit message:

> Improve editor handling
>
>- Uses it also for :CFG and :SET commands
>- Fall back to editor defined in environment if not defined in
>  logcfg.dat
>- Show warning if editor program not found

@nate: I tested it with gedit and gvim -> works. What is emacs doing?

73, de Tom DL1JBE

Am Fri, 22 Nov 2019 20:19:53 +0100
schrieb Thomas Beierlein <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> as the fixed choice of editors is quite a nuisance I prepared a
> changed version for tests. Please find it at
> https://github.com/dl1jbe/tlf/tree/new_editor
>
> Download the code and build TLF as told in the INSTALL file. Do not
> forget the 'autoreconf -i' step.
>
> The new version accepts any string as editor command and will just
> call that program with the logfile name as parameter.
>
> That means
>
> EDITOR=my-shiny-editor
>
> in logcfg.dat will call
>
> 'my-shiny-editor <logfilename>'
>
> So a simple EDITOR=nano should do afterwards.
>
> Please test and give feedback.
>
> 73, de Tom DL1JBE
>
> Am Fri, 22 Nov 2019 11:08:52 -0600
> schrieb jim smith <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:06:14 +0100
> > Joop Stakenborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I have gotten used to the GNU nano editor, but it does not seem to
> > > work with tlf. When I type :edit in the callsign field, tlf exits
> > > and returns straight away without opening nano. Both joe and vi
> > > work okay here. It is hard to debug, have to spent some time on it
> > > to see what actually happens. Maybe use gdb with a break added. I
> > > will have a look next week.
> > >

> > > 73 de Joop PG4I
> > >

> > Hi Joop,
> >
> > I don't know if this helps any, but I don't have any problems
> > running nano with tlf on ubuntu 18.04. I have *not* updgraded to
> > tlf 1.4 yet (was going to do that this weekend.

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Thomas Beierlein-4
As a final touch TLF now rereads the whole logfile after the editing
command is finished.
That was not implemented correctly before.

For all that who want to experiment with a graphical editor (gedit,
gvim, ...) make sure that the editor stays in foreground and blocks TLF
until editing is done. Otherwise rereading and scoring may be wrong and
need to be corrected by ':rescore' command afterwards.

E.g., for gvim you can use 'EDITOR=gvim -f'.

Be aware that that is normally not the case for the EDITOR variable in
environment.

73, de Tom

Am Sat, 23 Nov 2019 19:33:58 +0100 schrieb Thomas
Beierlein <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> please see the improved version on the same link as yesterday.
>
> From the commit message:
>
> > Improve editor handling
> >
> >- Uses it also for :CFG and :SET commands
> >- Fall back to editor defined in environment if not defined in
> >  logcfg.dat
> >- Show warning if editor program not found
>
> @nate: I tested it with gedit and gvim -> works. What is emacs doing?
>

> 73, de Tom DL1JBE
>

> Am Fri, 22 Nov 2019 20:19:53 +0100
> schrieb Thomas Beierlein <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as the fixed choice of editors is quite a nuisance I prepared a
> > changed version for tests. Please find it at
> > https://github.com/dl1jbe/tlf/tree/new_editor
> >
> > Download the code and build TLF as told in the INSTALL file. Do not
> > forget the 'autoreconf -i' step.
> >
> > The new version accepts any string as editor command and will just
> > call that program with the logfile name as parameter.
> >
> > That means
> >
> > EDITOR=my-shiny-editor
> >
> > in logcfg.dat will call
> >
> > 'my-shiny-editor <logfilename>'
> >
> > So a simple EDITOR=nano should do afterwards.
> >
> > Please test and give feedback.
> >
> > 73, de Tom DL1JBE
> >
> > Am Fri, 22 Nov 2019 11:08:52 -0600
> > schrieb jim smith <[hidden email]>:

> > > Hi Joop,
> > >
> > > I don't know if this helps any, but I don't have any problems
> > > running nano with tlf on ubuntu 18.04. I have *not* updgraded to
> > > tlf 1.4 yet (was going to do that this weekend.

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Joop Stakenborg-4
Hi Tom,

It works okay with 'nano' now, thanks!

The weekend was, fun. Made mores than 800 Q's in the CQWWCW with tlf and
winkeydaemon using the nanokeyer.

73 de Joop PG4I

* On 2019 25 Nov 07:46 -0600, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>

> It works okay with 'nano' now, thanks!
>
> The weekend was, fun. Made mores than 800 Q's in the CQWWCW with tlf and
> winkeydaemon using the nanokeyer.

Good to hear everything worked well, Joop.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: tlf and the nano editor

Thomas Beierlein-4
Very nice. Glad to hear it.

So it seems the new editor feature is running well. I will wait two or
three more days. If no one has problems with it, I will merge the patch
into the master version.

73, de Tom

--
"Do what is needful!"