transient frames

Hom Sepanta
I've been reading up on window placement rules in StumpWM but there is a
certain setup I haven't been able to achieve and I was wondering if
someone can point me to the right direction (if it's possible at all).
What I want is that a certain window show up in a transient frame that
appears when the window shows up and goes away when the window is
closed. The main window of the program is always there and full-screen,
but the secondary window when called for should appear in a frame, say
to the right of the screen consuming one third of the screen width. Is
this setup possible?

Re: transient frames

tycho garen
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:48:07PM +0330, Mostafa Razavi wrote:
> I've been reading up on window placement rules in StumpWM but there
> is a certain setup I haven't been able to achieve and I was
> wondering if someone can point me to the right direction (if it's
> possible at all). What I want is that a certain window show up in a
> transient frame that appears when the window shows up and goes away
> when the window is closed. The main window of the program is always
> there and full-screen, but the secondary window when called for
> should appear in a frame, say to the right of the screen consuming
> one third of the screen width. Is this setup possible?

StumpWM already allows for "popup" windows and dialogue boxes to
interject themselves without disrupting the current frame. This depends
on those newly created windows presenting themselves to Stump as popup
windows. Most do, some may tell with WM that they're actually "real
windows" and get handled the wrong way, but that's not strictly speaking
a problem stump can do very much with.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what this question asks. Either:

- I think you're asking to be able to, in stump parlance, have windows
  that are managed in stump's frames, and then have a layer of floating
  windows on top of the frames?

- Alternatively, I think you may be asking for stump to, when a new
  window opens, dynamically create a frame, and shrink the current frame
  so that all the window space is used, and then when the window closes,
  re-adjust the frames to continue to use all of the space without the
  "transient window."

The first option is **very** difficult to achieve in Stump (to the best
of my knowledge,) if it's even possible at all. I'm not aware of *any*
window managers that have this behavior. Furthermore as features go, I
don't think that it would be terribly useful or productive, but I might
not understand it totally.

The second option, is the default behavior in some other window
managers, and would not be terribly difficult to implement (relatively
speaking) in stump. At the same time, stump has always taken the
alternative approach to window management, and most stump users prefer
to save frame layouts and window placement rules and then restore
layouts based on how they want the WM to arrange windows rather than let
the window manager place windows itself.

As a third possibility, I may be completely off base, but I hope this
helps. Feel free to ask more questions if anything is unclear.

Cheers,
sam

Re: transient frames

Michael Raskin-3

>Otherwise, I'm not sure what this question asks. Either:
>
>- I think you're asking to be able to, in stump parlance, have windows
>  that are managed in stump's frames, and then have a layer of floating
>  windows on top of the frames?
>
>- Alternatively, I think you may be asking for stump to, when a new
>  window opens, dynamically create a frame, and shrink the current frame
>  so that all the window space is used, and then when the window closes,
>  re-adjust the frames to continue to use all of the space without the
>  "transient window."
>
>The first option is **very** difficult to achieve in Stump (to the best
>of my knowledge,) if it's even possible at all. I'm not aware of *any*
>window managers that have this behavior. Furthermore as features go, I
>don't think that it would be terribly useful or productive, but I might
>not understand it totally.

First option doesn't match the design of StumpWM data structures well,
it is true. Xmonad has floating layer, wmii has floating layer, some
other WMs do. It is not hard if you want this for some reason, but you
need to do things differently.

Re: transient frames

Erik Winkels
On 20 mrt. 2012, at 13:31, tychoish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - I think you're asking to be able to, in stump parlance, have windows
>  that are managed in stump's frames, and then have a layer of floating
>  windows on top of the frames?
[...]
> The first option is **very** difficult to achieve in Stump (to the best
> of my knowledge,) if it's even possible at all. I'm not aware of *any*
> window managers that have this behavior. Furthermore as features go, I
> don't think that it would be terribly useful or productive, but I might
> not understand it totally.

The Awesome WM has this, it is very useful and the main thing I miss from Stumpwm (a separate floating group isn't a good replacement).

I have some hacks in my .stumpwmrc to enable floating windows in tiling mode but the code has some issues still.

Re: transient frames

Hom Sepanta
I think the second alternative is more like what I was thinking about.
I'm still getting used to how things are done in StumpWM but I might
be getting some ideas. Is there a way I can hook some code to run when
layout changes? That is, a standard way; obviously it can be done by
changing the window manager code. Should I even do this? Or should I
stick with define-frame-preference?

Thanks,
Mostafa