trouble requiring swank

Eric Abrahamsen-2
I'm on archlinux, trying to connect to my stumpwm process through emacs
using the instructions here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Stumpwm#With_Quicklisp_.28recommended.29

I'm using emacs 24 (from git), sbcl 1.0.56-1 (from the arch package),
swank installed via quickload, and slime from CVS.

When I try to eval (require 'swank) in stumpwm (preparatory to starting
the swank server), I get this error message:

; compiling file "/home/eric/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-20120407-cvs/swank-sbcl.lisp" (written 15 MAY 2012 11:08:09 AM):
ASDF could not load sb-introspect because
#<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file /usr/lib/sbcl/sb-introspect/introspect.fasl"
  {B983001}>
is a fasl file compiled with SBCL 1.0.56, and can't be loaded into SBCL 1.0.54..
; compilation aborted after 0:00:00.049
;;
;; Error while compiling /home/eric/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-20120407-cvs/swank-sbcl.lisp:
;;   #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file /usr/lib/sbcl/sb-introspect/introspect.fasl"
;;     {B983001}>
;;   is a fasl file compiled with SBCL 1.0.56, and can't be loaded into SBCL
;;   1.0.54.
;; Aborting.
;; ASDF could not load swank because No restart ABORT is active..
;
; compilation unit aborted
;   caught 3 fatal ERROR conditions

I really have no idea what would be causing this -- I've only got one
sbcl on my system, and it's definitely 1.0.56, so I don't know what
would be trying to use sbcl 1.0.54. I'm able to require sb-introspect
from a regular repl…

Any hints?

Thanks,
Eric

Re: trouble requiring swank

Trevor Murphy
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:09:09 +0800
> From: Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [STUMP] trouble requiring swank

> I really have no idea what would be causing this -- I've only got one
> sbcl on my system, and it's definitely 1.0.56, so I don't know what
> would be trying to use sbcl 1.0.54. I'm able to require sb-introspect
> from a regular repl?

Hey, Eric.

Fellow Archer here. One thing that's bitten me before is assuming that
updating the sbcl package also updates the lisp processor used by
stumpwm. It took me two similar swank issues to figure this out. I
think the following explanation is right, but I'm no expert.

When you compile stumpwm, you're using your current sbcl binary and
dumping a copy / image of that compiled result for xinit to call
later. This copy / image handles its own lisp processing from then on
and never talks to the sbcl binary again (as far as I can tell).

Thus if you compiled stumpwm under sbcl 1.0.54, then updated sbcl and
swank, you might get this error. The solution in that case is to
recompile stumpwm against the sbcl you have now. I just do yaourt -S
stumpwm-git every time I see that sbcl has updated.

Hope that helps,

Trevor

Re: trouble requiring swank

Eric Abrahamsen-2
On Wed, May 16 2012, Trevor Murphy wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:09:09 +0800
>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [STUMP] trouble requiring swank
>
>> I really have no idea what would be causing this -- I've only got one
>> sbcl on my system, and it's definitely 1.0.56, so I don't know what
>> would be trying to use sbcl 1.0.54. I'm able to require sb-introspect
>> from a regular repl?
>
> Hey, Eric.
>
> Fellow Archer here. One thing that's bitten me before is assuming that
> updating the sbcl package also updates the lisp processor used by
> stumpwm. It took me two similar swank issues to figure this out. I
> think the following explanation is right, but I'm no expert.
>
> When you compile stumpwm, you're using your current sbcl binary and
> dumping a copy / image of that compiled result for xinit to call
> later. This copy / image handles its own lisp processing from then on
> and never talks to the sbcl binary again (as far as I can tell).
>
> Thus if you compiled stumpwm under sbcl 1.0.54, then updated sbcl and
> swank, you might get this error. The solution in that case is to
> recompile stumpwm against the sbcl you have now. I just do yaourt -S
> stumpwm-git every time I see that sbcl has updated.

Recompiling stumpwm did it! Thanks very much for the hint. I knew that
lisp programs often result in the creation of independent binaries, but
it had never crossed my mind that that's what was going on here.

Off to hack!

Thanks,
Eric