trying to fix --remove-older-than problem

trying to fix --remove-older-than problem

james bardin
i've been using rdiff-backup for a while now, and i noticed that my
older increments were no longer being removed.

i had been removing 4W, so tried an absolute time, and 30D but it just says:
  "No increments older than %s found, exiting."

i know there are older increments in there. i took one of the backup
directories, removed 2W, and it worked. this removed an increment from
2005, so it's not something to do with the year change.

the dates on the filesystem match the dates in the names of the increments.
i can't get any errors, it just says "No increments older than..."

where should i start digging?
python 2.4.2
rdiff-backup 0.13.4

jim

Re: trying to fix --remove-older-than problem

Ben Escoto

> the dates on the filesystem match the dates in the names of the increments.
> i can't get any errors, it just says "No increments older than..."
>
> where should i start digging?
> python 2.4.2
> rdiff-backup 0.13.4

Make sure version 1.0.3 (or 1.1.5) has this problem.  0.13.4 is an old
development version.  Then try to find the simplest test case with the
bug you can reproduce.

--
Ben Escoto

Re: trying to fix --remove-older-than problem

james bardin
yup, version 1.0.3, and librsync is 0.9.7
re-installed from source too.

was experimenting by moving the remove before date up 1 day at a time,
and it finally went, saying it was deleting that day, but it took
everything before it too.

I think the data in the the rdiff-backup-data folder was corrupted for
the days that wouldn't go away, and they weren't seen as increments.
they were cleaned up when a valid increment was removed though.

I guesse this one is solved for now, as i don't have any more bad
backups to experiment with (should have backed-up the back-ups)