understanding/troubleshooting gnokii

Roberto Verzola
Specifically, I'd like to understand what other software must work,
aside from gnokii. In short, when things were working well, what
softwares (internal to linux, kde, etc.) aside from gnokii were making
possible the data exchange between the netbook and the phones?

By browsing, I came to learn about hcitool and hciconfig, and I have
been using them to check the hardware. But I'm not sure if they are
active, when the live data exchange between netbook and phone is
happening.

What I'd like to do is determine where the failure actually is. I find
it remotely possible that all my 3 dongles failed at the
same time, so I suspect it is a software problem of some kind, not
necessarily gnokii.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/help,

Roberto Verzola
Philippines

Re: understanding/troubleshooting gnokii

Raphaël Droz
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 09:26:52AM +0800, Roberto Verzola wrote:
> Specifically, I'd like to understand what other software must work,
> aside from gnokii.

1) look at the debug output adding such a section to ~/.config/gnokii/config
> [logging]
>   debug = on

2) The "port = " stanza you specified in the configuration file clearly
refers either to a device in /dev/ either to a bluetooth address.
In the first case kernels modules come into play.
In the second case it's about bluez (hcitool / hciconfig).

Ensure the bluez daemons runs.
Then I'd advise to start with a simple:
$ l2ping [bt:mac:add:re:ss]
Then:
$ sdptool browse [bt:mac:add:re:ss]
If both succeeds, then run gnokii in debug mode and look closely at the
output.

You may want to ensure that the configuration section is correct and
that you specified it using the --phone option.

Later may also check that you don't have issue with device association
(like pin entering on phone side).

Hope this help.

Out of curiosity what are these farmers producing?

Re: understanding/troubleshooting gnokii

Roberto Verzola
Thanks for the suggestions, Raphael. We train rice farmers on a
new method called system of rice intensification (SRI). There's lots of
materials about it on the Web.

My config files (one per phone) worked very well for a year so I don't
think they are the problem. But I'll turn debug on, as you suggested.

Here's the main part the config for one phone. Other phones simply have
a different port id.

[global]
port = 18:86:ac:60:5e:98
model = series40
initlength = default
connection = bluetooth
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10

I'll also try the rest of your suggestions and report back. Thanks and
greetings,

Roberto

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 23:26:05 -0300
Raphaël <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 09:26:52AM +0800, Roberto Verzola wrote:
> > Specifically, I'd like to understand what other software must work,
> > aside from gnokii.
>
> 1) look at the debug output adding such a section to
> ~/.config/gnokii/config
> > [logging]
> >   debug = on
>

> 2) The "port = " stanza you specified in the configuration file
> clearly refers either to a device in /dev/ either to a bluetooth
> address. In the first case kernels modules come into play.
> In the second case it's about bluez (hcitool / hciconfig).
>
> Ensure the bluez daemons runs.
> Then I'd advise to start with a simple:
> $ l2ping [bt:mac:add:re:ss]
> Then:
> $ sdptool browse [bt:mac:add:re:ss]
> If both succeeds, then run gnokii in debug mode and look closely at
> the output.
>
> You may want to ensure that the configuration section is correct and
> that you specified it using the --phone option.
>
> Later may also check that you don't have issue with device association
> (like pin entering on phone side).
>
> Hope this help.
>

> Out of curiosity what are these farmers producing?

Re: understanding/troubleshooting gnokii

Roberto Verzola
Hi Raphael. Here are the results of the tests you suggested.

I inserted my bluetooth dongle into the usb port which I also use for
printing and reading usb flash disks, so I know that this usb port
works.

I used hcitool to get the port adress of the active bluetooth
device. Then I tried the commands.

rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ hcitool dev
Devices:
        hci1    00:15:83:07:C9:F6
rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ l2ping 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
Can't create socket: Operation not permitted
rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sudo l2ping 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
[sudo] password for rverzola:
Can't connect: No route to host
rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sdptool browse 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
Failed to connect to SDP server on 00:15:83:07:C9:F6: No route to host
rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sudo sdptool browse 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
Failed to connect to SDP server on 00:15:83:07:C9:F6: No route to host
rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$

I also tried this variation:

rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ l2ping hci1
Can't create socket: Operation not permitted
rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sudo l2ping hci1
Can't connect: Host is down

Raphaël <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 09:26:52AM +0800, Roberto Verzola wrote:
> > Specifically, I'd like to understand what other software must work,
> > aside from gnokii.
>
> 1) look at the debug output adding such a section to
> ~/.config/gnokii/config
> > [logging]
> >   debug = on
>

> 2) The "port = " stanza you specified in the configuration file
> clearly refers either to a device in /dev/ either to a bluetooth
> address. In the first case kernels modules come into play.
> In the second case it's about bluez (hcitool / hciconfig).
>
> Ensure the bluez daemons runs.
> Then I'd advise to start with a simple:
> $ l2ping [bt:mac:add:re:ss]
> Then:
> $ sdptool browse [bt:mac:add:re:ss]
> If both succeeds, then run gnokii in debug mode and look closely at
> the output.
>
> You may want to ensure that the configuration section is correct and
> that you specified it using the --phone option.
>
> Later may also check that you don't have issue with device association
> (like pin entering on phone side).
>
> Hope this help.
>

> Out of curiosity what are these farmers producing?

Re: understanding/troubleshooting gnokii

Pawel Kot
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Roberto Verzola <[hidden email]> wrote:

> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ hcitool dev
> Devices:
>         hci1    00:15:83:07:C9:F6
> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ l2ping 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
> Can't create socket: Operation not permitted
> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sudo l2ping 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
> [sudo] password for rverzola:
> Can't connect: No route to host
> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sdptool browse 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
> Failed to connect to SDP server on 00:15:83:07:C9:F6: No route to host
> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sudo sdptool browse 00:15:83:07:C9:F6
> Failed to connect to SDP server on 00:15:83:07:C9:F6: No route to host
> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$
>
> I also tried this variation:
>
> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ l2ping hci1
> Can't create socket: Operation not permitted
> rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sudo l2ping hci1
> Can't connect: Host is down

Looks like something's wrong with the device. Perhaps there is some
hint in dmesg?

take care,
Paweł

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:53:14AM +0200, Pawel Kot wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Roberto Verzola <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > rverzola@hotline:~/HotlineSMS$ sudo l2ping hci1
> > Can't connect: Host is down
>
> Looks like something's wrong with the device. Perhaps there is some
> hint in dmesg?

Indeed...

And ensure the bluez is installed and running, eg:
# ps faux|grep bluez
# service bluetooth start
There is /var/log/syslog to look at too.

(well I would say it runs if hcitool output a valid device)

What outputs:
# hcitool scan

What says hciconfig about the BT address of your dongle?
Can you l2ping yourself at that address ?

More generally than binding your device to hci1 and then pinging hci1,
try to directly l2ping the mac-address of the device.
BTW why hci1 and not hci0 ?

--
GPG id: 0xF41572CEBD4218F4