update from 2.0.13 to 15? how?

df7fr
Hi friends

really nice Log for me. Use it since some month and it,s excellent.

Last day,s i read there is an update to 15.

in the Synaptic-Repository is only ver: 2.0.13

how to update this.

Best wishes and 73 Heinz df7fr

Linux Mint 18.3

Re: update from 2.0.13 to 15? how?

Ed-19
On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 17:08:32 +0100
df7fr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi friends
>
> really nice Log for me. Use it since some month and it,s excellent.
>
> Last day,s i read there is an update to 15.
>
> in the Synaptic-Repository is only ver: 2.0.13
>
> how to update this.
>
> Best wishes and 73 Heinz df7fr

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/xlog/xlog-2.0.15.tar.gz

Ed W3NR

Re: update from 2.0.13 to 15? how?

Steve Yates
Is it difficult for the author to get the Repositories updated with the latest software version? For security purposes some of us prefer to use the more vetted Repositories rather than download directly from a site, any site. If we do the latter we might as well be using Windows.

That being said, I really like XLog for its simplicity and functionality. I do look forward to better ADIF support in the new version.

Now if someone with more brains than I could come up with a modern contest logger for Linux I wouldn't need Windows at all. :-)

Thanks for all of the work!

73,
Steve - AA5TB
Fort Worth

df7fr <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi friends

really nice Log for me. Use it since some month and it,s excellent.

Last day,s i read there is an update to 15.

in the Synaptic-Repository is only ver: 2.0.13

how to update this.

Best wishes and 73 Heinz df7fr

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/xlog/xlog-2.0.15.tar.gz

Ed W3NR

Re: update from 2.0.13 to 15? how?

Andy Stewart-2
On 11/25/2017 11:44 AM, Steve Yates wrote:

> Is it difficult for the author to get the Repositories updated with the
> latest software version? For security purposes some of us prefer to use
> the more vetted Repositories rather than download directly from a site,
> any site. If we do the latter we might as well be using Windows.
>
> That being said, I really like XLog for its simplicity and
> functionality. I do look forward to better ADIF support in the new version.
>
> Now if someone with more brains than I could come up with a modern
> contest logger for Linux I wouldn't need Windows at all. :-)
>
> Thanks for all of the work!
>
> 73,
> Steve - AA5TB

HI Steve,

I have tried to get updated versions into the Debian and Ubuntu
repositories for the last to releases, to no avail.

Savannah is a well trusted site, and note also that there is a signed
file with the tarball that I've uploaded.  If you trust me, then you
trust that which I've uploaded, once you've verified the signature
matches.  If you don't trust me, it won't be any better than what
Debian/Ubuntu distribute, since they get it from me.

That said, once one has downloaded the tarball, the process is quite
standard:

sudo -i
cd /usr/local/src
tar xcvf xlog-<version>.tar.gz
cd xlog-<version>
Read the INSTALL file for detailed instructions.
./configure
make
make install

Regarding a "modern context logger" for Linux, perhaps cqrlog would
better meet that need.

73,

Andy

--
Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)
Founder:   Worcester Linux Users' Group

Re: update from 2.0.13 to 15? how?

Steve Yates
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response. Your reply makes sense.

In regards to CQRLog, it is a very thorough logbook but it isn't really conducive to contests logging either. For contests you really need either a separate and slim program for each contest (like the N3FJP packages), or one that is customizable for each contest. The only ones I've found for Linux seem to be relics from the early 1990's.

Thanks.

73,
Steve - AA5TB
Fort Worth