updating linphone

John White

I am using linphone Desktop 4.11 QT5.9.0 core 3.12.0, installed via flatpak on my Debian Buster system and, despite some flaws, love it.

Since Gates bought github I avoid github. Risk that he will try to kill linphone in favor of skype is too great.

I don't see a way with flatpak to see what linphone version would be installed and since I have lots of linphone contacts am concerned that reloading it might eliminate my contacts.

Any thoughts concerning this concern would be appreciated.

John

Re: updating linphone

John White

Hope springs eternal and you may be right. But I was around when Gates did whatever he could, in as sneaky way as possible, to insure that Word Perfect didn't pose a serious problem to Word.

How can we be sure that Gates is not somehow behind Linphone's current problems with its linux desktop?

John

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:08:45 AM PDT John Whelan wrote:

> I wouldn't be too concerned about github. Linphone is SIP software that

> works into a PBX etc. SKYPE is an Internet based proprietary closed

> system. Although much of the very nice open standard opus codec came out

> of it and Linphone can use the opus codec.

> Cheerio John

> John White wrote on 2019-09-11 11:05 PM:

> I am using linphone Desktop 4.11 QT5.9.0 core 3.12.0, installed via flatpak

> on my Debian Buster system and, despite some flaws, love it.

> Since Gates bought github I avoid github. Risk that he will try to kill

> linphone in favor of skype is too great.

> I don't see a way with flatpak to see what linphone version would be

> installed and since I have lots of linphone contacts am concerned that

> reloading it might eliminate my contacts.

> Any thoughts concerning this concern would be appreciated.

> John

Re: updating linphone

Roeland Jansen
also, the source is distributed. so even if (and it won't) it was killed, you still have the sources.

github is fine, ms is fine -- ms has not been bad last few years.