using sendmail to send alerts

Bryan Larsen
I believe that sending alerts via SMTP for services like monit is a bad idea; I have been burned by such a practice in the past (in a different app).

External email services are usually quite picky about the port, encryption method and authentication method used to deliver emails, so can be tricky to set up.   But to make it a lot worse, such services occasionally tighten up these requirements, so a configuration that worked in the past may suddenly stop working.

Not to mention the fact that sometimes addresses, usernames & passwords get changed without updating every service that uses them.

monit does not send frequent emails, so it's possible that a broken email configuration will not get noticed quickly.

cron, logrotate and other similar services cannot send email via SMTP so it's quite likely that most servers have or should have sendmail or equivalent installed.

Bryan

Re: using sendmail to send alerts

Michael Shigorin
On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:35:39AM -0400, Bryan Larsen wrote:
> I believe that sending alerts via SMTP for services like monit
> is a bad idea; I have been burned by such a practice in the
> past (in a different app).

You should have...
well, this time it's a relay you can count on.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info