vertical mode-line?

Jim Ottaway-2
Has anyone implemented a mode-line that runs vertically at the left or
right of the screen instead of at the top or bottom?

I find that my new laptop's screen is too wide for me and it would be
nice to move the modeline to the side to make use of the currently
unused space there.

As far as I can see, this involves modifying resize-mode-line in
mode-line.lisp.  I'll have a go if it's not been done before.

Yours sincerely,
--
Jim Ottaway

Re: vertical mode-line?

David Bjergaard
Hi Jim,

I'm not aware of this feature.  The issue being with how primitive the
modeline is.  Its just a special window that handles a string that can
be formatted various ways.  It shouldn't be too hard to get the
mode-line on the bottom of the screen, but it would probably take some
effort to get it on the side.  Currently the string just runs off the
end of the modeline if its too wide, so getting the mode-line to appear
in the right part of the screen is only half the battle, the second half
is getting it to display something useful.

I would really like to make the mode-line more useful, but my ideas
require tearing it down and building it back up. I'm not the first
person to attempt it either.  Most efforts have stagnated and been lost
to time.

Cheers,

    Dave

Jim Ottaway <[hidden email]> writes:

> Has anyone implemented a mode-line that runs vertically at the left or
> right of the screen instead of at the top or bottom?
>
> I find that my new laptop's screen is too wide for me and it would be
> nice to move the modeline to the side to make use of the currently
> unused space there.
>
> As far as I can see, this involves modifying resize-mode-line in
> mode-line.lisp.  I'll have a go if it's not been done before.
>
> Yours sincerely,

Re: vertical mode-line?

Michael Raskin-3
>I'm not aware of this feature.  The issue being with how primitive the
>modeline is.  Its just a special window that handles a string that can
>be formatted various ways.  It shouldn't be too hard to get the
>mode-line on the bottom of the screen, but it would probably take some
>effort to get it on the side.  Currently the string just runs off the
>end of the modeline if its too wide, so getting the mode-line to appear
>in the right part of the screen is only half the battle, the second half
>is getting it to display something useful.
>
>I would really like to make the mode-line more useful, but my ideas
>require tearing it down and building it back up. I'm not the first
>person to attempt it either.  Most efforts have stagnated and been lost
>to time.

I decided to just have a shell script that outputs my modeline and
hacked window management logic to tag frames so modeline frame is not
included in window set change (modeline xterm stays there). Also
independent frame groups help with managing multiple monitors, and
FullHD monitors where I usually keep something on the right while change
the main area contents...

Re: vertical mode-line?

Mikael Jansson-2
How is your setup for independent frame grups?

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Michael Raskin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>I'm not aware of this feature.  The issue being with how primitive the
>>modeline is.  Its just a special window that handles a string that can
>>be formatted various ways.  It shouldn't be too hard to get the
>>mode-line on the bottom of the screen, but it would probably take some
>>effort to get it on the side.  Currently the string just runs off the
>>end of the modeline if its too wide, so getting the mode-line to appear
>>in the right part of the screen is only half the battle, the second half
>>is getting it to display something useful.
>>
>>I would really like to make the mode-line more useful, but my ideas
>>require tearing it down and building it back up. I'm not the first
>>person to attempt it either.  Most efforts have stagnated and been lost
>>to time.
>
> I decided to just have a shell script that outputs my modeline and
> hacked window management logic to tag frames so modeline frame is not
> included in window set change (modeline xterm stays there). Also
> independent frame groups help with managing multiple monitors, and
> FullHD monitors where I usually keep something on the right while change
> the main area contents...

Re: vertical mode-line?

Michael Raskin-3
>How is your setup for independent frame grups?

http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/stumpwm-tagging/branch/changes/com.ignorelist.401a0bf1.raskin.stumpwm-config
(you can download a tarball there or browse code online)

It also uses my window-tagging contrib module.

This is most of my real config, including the code for frame tagging.

Window tags are stored in window properties (so restarting StumpWM
but keeping X session doesn't wipe them), frame tags are attached to
StumpWM frame objects.

Windows are auto-tagged and sometimes additionally tagged manually.

There are scripts that set up frames and specify groups using special
tags. Q is rebound to only clean splits inside the same frame group;
bindings are made to populate current frame group with predefined window
sets (specified using tags).

I don't use frame groups spanning monitors; I actually manage a single
FullHD laptop screen as multiple independent monitors (a nice square-ish
area and all the rest).

>>>I would really like to make the mode-line more useful, but my ideas
>>>require tearing it down and building it back up. I'm not the first
>>>person to attempt it either.  Most efforts have stagnated and been lost
>>>to time.
>>
>> I decided to just have a shell script that outputs my modeline and
>> hacked window management logic to tag frames so modeline frame is not
>> included in window set change (modeline xterm stays there). Also
>> independent frame groups help with managing multiple monitors, and
>> FullHD monitors where I usually keep something on the right while change
>> the main area contents...

Re: vertical mode-line?

Jim Ottaway-3
Thank you for the replies so far.

Michael's idea looks promising: one could put something like an emacs
frame in there with the mode-line text in it; perhaps that's the best
solution.

I kind of like my current mode-line as well, though, with its simplicity
and the obvious Emacs heritage.

So I might just see, when I get time of course, if I can just change the
positioning and sizing code in resize-mode-line and do something with
update-mode-line-position to allow for a fixed-width vertical mode-line
at the right or left. The formatting, such as whether text fits in the
available width would be up to the user to sort out.

Incidentally, I see that there is a *mode-line-position* variable that
does lead to its being placed at the bottom when set to :bottom; so just
need to add :left and :right options.

Yours sincerely,
--
Jim Ottaway