ways to make free space with big duplicity chains

ways to make free space with big duplicity chains

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello everybody,

I am trying to safe some disk space and did the following and would like
to know if there are better ways to flatten/merge active main chains?

find /home/snip-backup/backups/libvirt-filesystems/ -maxdepth 1 -name
*inc*201706* -delete

duplicity cleanup --extra-clean --force --archive-dir
/var/cache/backupninja/duplicity --name ca76476632badf50cdf688a006875374
scp://[hidden email]/backups/libvirt-guests

duplicity collection-status --archive-dir
/var/cache/backupninja/duplicity --name b1eb1c938fd4de77fc283fb3800b4778
scp://[hidden email]/backups/libvirt-filesystems

I'm hopping that I now only lost all incremental backups after 201705
and that my next incremental will be in august and that all the files
will be extractable from the duplicity backup this way?

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong

Re: ways to make free space with big duplicity chains

On 21.08.2017 13:32, Jelle de Jong via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am trying to safe some disk space and did the following and would like to know if there are better ways to flatten/merge active main chains?
>
> find /home/snip-backup/backups/libvirt-filesystems/ -maxdepth 1 -name *inc*201706* -delete
>
> duplicity cleanup --extra-clean --force --archive-dir /var/cache/backupninja/duplicity --name ca76476632badf50cdf688a006875374 scp://[hidden email]/backups/libvirt-guests
>
> duplicity collection-status --archive-dir /var/cache/backupninja/duplicity --name b1eb1c938fd4de77fc283fb3800b4778 scp://[hidden email]/backups/libvirt-filesystems
>
> I'm hopping that I now only lost all incremental backups after 201705 and that my next incremental will be in august and that all the files will be extractable from the duplicity backup this way?

hey Jelle,

next time you should just move those files instead of deleting them (or do you keep snapshots?). this way you can restore them in case you deleted something wrong.

what you should do now is

1. check if collection status shows the chains as expected
2. and more importantly, do a verify run to make sure the latest backup is still restoreable

..ede/duply.net