weblogger 1.4.5

Mark A. Hershberger

I'm releasing weblogger 1.4.5.  This release fixes puneet goel's brown
paper bag and applies Leo's patch to do less in weblogger-fetch-entries.

https://launchpad.net/weblogger-el/

Thanks,

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

because of those who look on and do nothing.
                                            — Albert Einstein

Re: weblogger 1.4.5

Leo Liu-5
On 2010-03-11 06:44 +0000, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> I'm releasing weblogger 1.4.5.  This release fixes puneet goel's brown
> paper bag and applies Leo's patch to do less in weblogger-fetch-entries.
>
> https://launchpad.net/weblogger-el/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark.

Thanks.

What is C-c C-e in the new entry buffer supposed to do? When I hit it
the buffer turns into a nxml buffer but then I don't know from there
onwards how to publish the post?

Best,
Leo

Re: Re: weblogger 1.4.5

Mark A. Hershberger
Leo <[hidden email]> writes:

> What is C-c C-e in the new entry buffer supposed to do? When I hit it
> the buffer turns into a nxml buffer but then I don't know from there
> onwards how to publish the post?

You can call M-x weblogger-toggle-edit-body to get back to
the weblogger-entry buffer.  This could be set to a key, but because of
the way this is designed, I didn't do that.

The mode that you can use to edit the body can be customized and a can
be used to take care of buffer conversion.

For instance, I have set weblogger-edit-mode to to org-mode and added a
hook to weblogger-weblogger-mode-toggle-hook to take care of converting
an org-mode buffer to HTML suitable for sending to the server.

I'm still not sure I like the design and will try to write a new
function – weblogger-post-this-buffer — that would take any buffer and
put the contents in a weblogger-entry mode buffer, optionally converting
it via hooks.

This would allow you to start writing in any buffer instead of starting
a weblogger-entry buffer first.  You'd have the full power of whatever
Emacs mode you wanted to use without this nasty hack.  Credit goes to
David Abrahmson, IIRC, for this idea.

Mark.

On 2010-03-12 18:51 +0000, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> You can call M-x weblogger-toggle-edit-body to get back to
> the weblogger-entry buffer.  This could be set to a key, but because of
> the way this is designed, I didn't do that.
>
> The mode that you can use to edit the body can be customized and a can
> be used to take care of buffer conversion.
>
> For instance, I have set weblogger-edit-mode to to org-mode and added a
> hook to weblogger-weblogger-mode-toggle-hook to take care of converting
> an org-mode buffer to HTML suitable for sending to the server.
>
> I'm still not sure I like the design and will try to write a new
> function – weblogger-post-this-buffer — that would take any buffer and
> put the contents in a weblogger-entry mode buffer, optionally converting
> it via hooks.
>
> This would allow you to start writing in any buffer instead of starting
> a weblogger-entry buffer first.  You'd have the full power of whatever
> Emacs mode you wanted to use without this nasty hack.  Credit goes to
> David Abrahmson, IIRC, for this idea.
>
> Mark.

Thank you for your answer, Mark.

One thing really annoying to me about weblogger is that in a few places
it tries to automatically get the next post from the server into the
editing buffer. I don't know why it is designed this way.

Writing a post could take minutes to hours while deleting it takes just
a second. If it is really necessary to pull post from server for editing
it should be guarded carefully. I would suggest at least two
confirmations when C-c C-k with the first one in RED saying: You are
about to delete the post permanently. Go ahead?

But I think a better interface would be something like a dired buffer
listing all posts in the server for the user to choose for editing and
90% percent of the time I don't want to touch the posts that i have
already posted although I don't know other people's use case.

C-c C-k should be bound to discard editing only, deleting post is too
dangerous. And because its connection with message-mode, it could be
confusing. After all, C-c C-k in message mode does not delete an email
that's already sent.

Just a few thoughts ;)

Best wishes,

Leo

Re: Re: weblogger 1.4.5

Mark A. Hershberger
Leo <[hidden email]> writes:

> C-c C-k should be bound to discard editing only, deleting post is too
> dangerous. And because its connection with message-mode, it could be
> confusing. After all, C-c C-k in message mode does not delete an email
> that's already sent.

I agree that delete probably shouldn't be bound by default.  And the fix
is easy: just remove the key-binding.

Mark.